The “Point” of Beef……Pure Goodness!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Looks awesome bud . Nice work .
I have a whole packer that I can't get in the freezer . Need to do something with it . Maybe I'll just do the point end . Save the flat for tacos .

A perfect cook to wrap up a great football Sunday! If I could find that cut I'd be on it in a heartbeat! Briskets are way too much for me, I do dino ribs when I get a brisky urge. RAY

Now I get the point, looks great and plated to perfection. I will have to see if I can find it. Usually only see the whole brisket.
Thanks, clifsh! The point cut is perfect and I'm really glad we have them here!
That is a fantastic looking brisket!
I sure we could get just the point here, but you can buy all the flats & packers you want, but why no points?
The only points we can get here are already corned, so you get pastrami.
Al
Much appreciation Al!!! I think venders would see a huge uptick in sales if they had the point cut. Not everyone wants a huge packer or a flat....
Made my mouth water!! Very rare to find just points around me. I’d buy them 100% of the time over whole if I could.
Thanks jcam! Yea I saw the point and my wife was second guessing me getting brisket and my boy jumped in and said is a point cut, score it! He is trained up right!

That sir looks fantastic
Many thanks sjim!
Looks awesome bud . Nice work .
I have a whole packer that I can't get in the freezer . Need to do something with it . Maybe I'll just do the point end . Save the flat for tacos .
Thanks chop! Oh yes a point cut for slicing and then the flat for tacos or ground.....
A perfect cook to wrap up a great football Sunday! If I could find that cut I'd be on it in a heartbeat! Briskets are way too much for me, I do dino ribs when I get a brisky urge. RAY
Thanks RAY! Oh yes its a perfect Sunday cook for sure! And I hear you on the full packer. I usually end up cutting a full packer into 3rds....but now that the point cuts are back..... only the point in the basket for now!

civilsmoker civilsmoker great writup, thanks for posting your method and those mouthwatering pics! I love when there are enough pictures to follow along the story--you made me feel I was right there waiting to eat it!

I'm really interested in your asian rub you use, I like a teriyaki marinade for steak but haven't tried that flavora for brisket rub. Do you mind mentioning what you use for that? Looks fantastic!

civilsmoker civilsmoker great writup, thanks for posting your method and those mouthwatering pics! I love when there are enough pictures to follow along the story--you made me feel I was right there waiting to eat it!

I'm really interested in your asian rub you use, I like a teriyaki marinade for steak but haven't tried that flavora for brisket rub. Do you mind mentioning what you use for that? Looks fantastic!
Thanks and you are welcome!

Here you go (I've posted it before but added the last three on the list and they take it to the next level!).

1/4c. Smoked paprika, gran Onion, gran garlic, turbinado cane sugar.
2 Tbsp brown sugar, gran sugar
1 1/2 Tsp five spice,
2 Tsp gochugaru Korean style red pepper
1/2 Tsp ginger, lemon pepper
1 Tbsp Japanese seven spice
1 Tbsp & 1 Tsp kosher salt coarse
1 Tbsp mushroom powder - optional
1 Tbsp 1tsp tomato powder
1/2 Tbsp nori dust (1 Tbsp flakes in spice grinder).

I use it on pork, beef, and poultry, be warned its addicting!

Reactions: Dave in AZ
civilsmoker civilsmoker thanks so much for the rub recipe, it looks great, all things I love!
you are welcome, I'm just getting use of the rub but, I've used it enough to have it be my #1 now! I am working an a 5 or 6 chili pepper blend to replace the 7 spice though...Just want to be able to control the flavor tones better than the 7 spice does.
Man that looks amazing and you did a fantastic job with the pictures and steps. Now I have to hunt down a point and give that a try.
Thanks and its worth the hunt for sure!
As always , just beautiful. Love the sliced pics

David
Many thanks David!
Dang, That brisket looks perfect
Thanks NG! Much appreciated.

Reactions: DRKsmoking
Breakfast time!!!!!

Seared (gentle sear) up a couple of slices in the rendered fat and another dusting of the rub....
D5ECD79B-3A0D-435A-9D11-455359B96EC9.jpeg

Then added them with some sunny side up eggs.....yes I tried the rub on the eggs..... topped with some fresh chopped herbs....
7AF68449-53C8-4E9C-942F-936BF79E2600.jpeg

Just saying brisket and eggs is a THING!!!!!
502E9B07-DDC5-441F-ABD3-4D62BC14E52B.jpeg

And for the first bite.......
ADB71DE8-8C56-459D-BEFF-06AA9BA524D4.jpeg

HOLY SMOKES the rub on the eggs is crazy good and then with the brisket as well all I can say is I'm Speechless..... This was better than dinner!

It’s fall and it’s time to get right to the point of beef…….. love it when these babies are on the shelf!
View attachment 647451
Did a 1/4 inch fat trim and diamond scored it…..saved to fat for rendering on the smoker….
View attachment 647452
Seasoned it up with the new Asian rub. Opened up the scores to get lots of rub in the cuts…..
View attachment 647453
Bingo on the RT 1250 top shelf with the pan of trimmed fat below……ran the smoker at 265…
View attachment 647454
Doing a check….INT @ 151…..oh man makes me smile….
View attachment 647455
INT 170 time to boat….
View attachment 647456
Dropped it in the boat and basted with the smoked tallow and put to bed till jello…. Dropped the CC temp to 225…..
View attachment 647457
INT @ 198 and jelly……
View attachment 647458
7.5 hr cook time, now in the oven @165 till din din…..

After 2 hours of rest time the point of beef comes home for dinner……slicing…
View attachment 647459
3/8” slice test……oh man happiness!
View attachment 647460
Just had to post another slice pic!!!!
View attachment 647461

And now the plate……a side of pan seared sweet corn and my wife’s scratch caesar and some fresh herbs…..
View attachment 647462

Now this is the “Point of Beef” for a fall Sunday afternoon!!!!
View attachment 647463
Looks wondermous. we have a hard time finding point cut down here, when we do it's a lot more expensiver than that. I've never sliced it except to make burnt ends, which is my target when i can find pre-cut point. now i have a new target.

I have been leery of the Winco meat. When they first opened near me they had the meat
labeled as select or better! Now it has moved up to Choice or better!
Your post has me convinced to give it a shot. Saw a point this morning so this weekend
I will get the point!
Thanks for sharing and your on point with that cook for sure.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky