Thanks Giving Toils - Kielbasha, Coon Azz, Bacon

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

walle

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
Aug 21, 2009
Fruita, Colorado
Wanted to share some of the hard work and BBQ that happened over my Thx Giving weekend. We always butcher over the holiday, and one of our long standing family favorites is making kielbash. Made 150 lbs this year.

Pattied out ready to stuff in casings

Racked in the smoke house

Smoke bucket of oak and apple

That's it for the sausage - had to leave to right after and didn't get to wait the 24 hours they smoked. Then it was on to cooking the ribs we pealed out of the bellies. For those of you who Coon Azz... I'd be interested to see if you have ever tried it in these conditions! Lost $5 to my dad as I was convinced he couldn't keep the fire going in the blizzard!

Before

During

Sorry - no AFTER! Got too dark and cold... and I was starving!

Finally, my first batch of bacon getting ready for the dry cure. I have that and a CB that should be ready to smoke on Sunday. I'll share the pictures.

Thanks for looking.
Tracey

WOW !! that is quit a setup I'm sure that recipe is pretty good by all the years of figuring out what ya like and dis like. Do you have anything in the buckets? Like a screen at the bottom of them and then just holes on the top? I haven't seen this before. Nice bacon by the way. store bought is not good enough anymore..lol
and what is coon azz????????

We like it - Beef/Pork/Deer/Elk.
The other buckets are just empties or stools! No screen, just holes in the bottom that we light with a weed burner. 1st layer is dried corn cobbs, then green apple shoots with some oak mixed in - stuff it full and let it go. It will smoke for about 12 hours, but we let it sit in the smoke house for 24. It's cold smoked, so we wrap and then into the freezer.

Coon Azz - it's a type of cooker - works like a dutch oven. Meat on the inside, fire on the top. They work great...even in the snow! Have added an outside smoke box that you can't see.

Tracey

Looks like a blast.Nice work on this smoke.
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

Everything looks great, Walle. I didn't know it snowed here or were you somewhere else? I sure didn't smell the smoker.
biggrin.gif

Hey Bassman... that bacon testing is getting closer... ;o).
Yeah, I was down South in Dove Creek. It's been cold plenty cold here, though!

Don't look now, but it's 8 degrees this morning down here close to the river!
icon_cool.gif

Man Walle you have the set up for sure. I like the sausage and you have a bunch of it if you bending the metal rods you used to hold the sausage. L would like to see the bacon finishing Qview so I'll have to check back in.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky