Texture for country ribs?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

natdiamond

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jun 21, 2007
I wanted to try some country ribs. I was curious because I know I should smoke them more like a butt than the 3-2-1 rib style. And I know some people like ribs that fall off the bone, and others like them more firm. But what about these? Are they picked up and eaten like ribs or are they more moist and fall apart-like and eaten with a fork?
I've learned that with butts and ribs that you really get the fall off the bone texture from the last part of the cooking when you wrap it in foil. If you want a little more sliceable type pork, don't foil it. Any Country rib tips for your favorite texure/consistancy?

Either way, really. Take 'em to 170-ish and pick 'em up or higher and it's mini pulled porks. I tend to like 'em right about 185... just as they start to break. But the mini butts are good too... lots of opportunity to enjoy the bark on each "rib".

I do not try to read internal temp. I smoke them at 225º for around 3 hours, then wrap them for 1 hour, then a half hour open. You can baste them during the last half hour if you like to do that.

I agree with Flash, they can be a bit hard to tell the temp on sometimes. But I agree with Richtee on the texture. Slightly falling apart is perfect. I tend to use a fork, but no knife if that helps.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky