Featured Texas Hot Link Sausage QView (Hot Gut)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
What a waste of vacuum bags...... I'll bet those links wont make it past 2 weeks. lol

Boykjo
Hahhaa yeah I kinda thought the same thing but I'm going to try and force myself to make a pack or two last so I can pull them out on a rainy day :D

Thank you for a well written post. I am brand new to this site and came specifically for a Hot Guts recipe. I had tried one I found on you tube but it was severely lacking in taste. I see that you used the cellulose casings. do they allow the smoke to penetrate?

Thank you for a well written post. I am brand new to this site and came specifically for a Hot Guts recipe. I had tried one I found on you tube but it was severely lacking in taste. I see that you used the cellulose casings. do they allow the smoke to penetrate?
Hi there and welcome!

Thanks, I'm glad you are finding the post helpful :)
Yeah it is hard to find a good one. I found one that was in the ballpark and worked it into shape to be the kind of Texas Hot Gut sausage I remember getting as a kid. They are disappearing from the world but these should bring it back for u :)

Those cellulose casings allow smoke penetration for sure.
Way to hammer out the details!! Hot Guts look amazing!! And goes good with mustard I see :)
Thanks, I'm glad you like it.
Yeah I eat them with mustard all the time. I rarely eat bread these days so it's mostly mustard. I'll eat some with a little bbq sauce too but mostly a good amount of mustard :)

When I have a kitchen again, I'm trying this, looks great.

Are the fennel seed measurements right? That's a tiny, tiny amount for a 5# batch.

These are the percentages for those wanting to build their own spreadsheet (table sugar version, and I increased fennel seed over original recipe):

1672935096725.png

When I have a kitchen again, I'm trying this, looks great.

Are the fennel seed measurements right? That's a tiny, tiny amount for a 5# batch.
Yeah it's just a touch of fennel. It's no issue to increase if you really like more fennel flavor. As you know that stuff is strong so a little goes a long way.

I put all my seasonings, fennel, and liquid in a blender and blend it good before mixing. My blender does a number on the fennel seeds so I may be getting more dispersed fennel flavor due to the blades shredding most of the seeds. I rarely get more than half of a seed in a bite of sausage. That may be why so little fennel goes so far for me in this recipe. Blender magic :D

Also for others out there reading this, more fennel may start to turn the profile more towards Italian sausage flavors. Not a bad thing at all but something to know if using fennel and or anise.
Good Italian sausage is something people can make as well since they will already have fennel on hand for this recipe :D

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky