Texas Hot link ( Carolina Reaper )

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chopsaw

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Dec 14, 2013
OFallon Mo.
Had the thread on the brown n serve breakfast sausage experiment a week or so ago . I made some other things at the same time .
I used the Texas Hot link recipe from Marianski . It's a fresh sausage , but I wanted smoked . So I added some NFDM and the right amount of cure one . I also added 1/4 tsp of Carolina reaper powder I got from tropics tropics to the 2 1/2 pound batch . Richie , that powder is awesome when used in the right amounts . Good heat and flavor . Don't take much . I made rings instead of links . Stuffed and held in the fridge overnight .
Next day I hung at room temp ( 65 ) 'til they warmed up some . Then into the MES 30 at 120 for a couple hours to dry , then started some smoke . I used oak as a " base " with cherry and mesquite mixed in . 12 " tube in the mailbox . I stopped doing the 10 degree bump on smoked sausage . Outside was getting tough because to much time in the smoker .
So I ran it at 130 'til I got the color I wanted . Then stepped to 145 for 15 minutes , then to 165 to get it cooked .
Worked great . Good snap from the casing but not tough . Texture was perfect as well as the heat . That's a good recipe . I did grill some fresh , and they're great too .

Couple pics ,
The rings on the tray are the Reaper sausage . The links are AC Leggs bratwurst . The single link is the change over from stuffing both .
20201028_113451.jpg
Close up of the rings ,
20201028_113501.jpg
Out of the smoker , and fast cool down with ice and water .
20201028_163021.jpg
Couple cut shots .
20201028_164422.jpg 20201028_164430.jpg
Really happy with this . Great recipe plus the added heat / flavor from the reaper powder .
Thanks for lookin.

I bet those are tasty chop. Nice Job

Point for sure
Chris

Reactions: chopsaw
Nice color..., grind and bind too! I like rings too when smoking, they have that old school smokehouse look. Ever done a water bath finish? I started doing that to my hot dogs and I never overshoot my target temp.

Reactions: chopsaw
I bet those are tasty chop. Nice Job
Thanks Chris . They're great . Just have to watch the heat . Little bit goes a long way with that reaper powder .

Man that sounds and look good. If I retire will get some time to try making sausages.
Thanks ! The retirement really does help with doing this stuff .

Man those look fantastic! I’m sure I’d love those.
Thanks for the comment . I should have slipped one in the box !
Nice color..., grind and bind too!
Thank you .
Ever done a water bath finish? I started doing that to my hot dogs and I never overshoot my target temp.
I never over shoot sausage temps in the smoker . I do finish in the SV sometimes . Just depends on what it is .
20190801_144129.jpg

WOW Chop, those look fantastic!
We love heat & I bet they would be right in our wheelhouse!
Thanks for the comments Al . I have to say they're perfect . Richie did a great job with that reaper powder . Just don'y use to much .

Sorry I'm late, but Dang those Looks Great!!!
Nice Job, Rich!!
Thanks John . They're great on a bun with some yellow mustard .

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky