Texan Jalapeno Sausage - Take 1

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
My complaint- I didn't get any.

Looks awesome, two thumbs up!
LOL!  What he said!   
bravo.png

I'm not a big fan of the potential 'hot' of the ribs and seeds of the jalapeno, but the flavor can be quite nice.  They look sooo very yummie!  Kudos!

Looks amazing!  I am so going to do Sausages on my Vacation in July!  Yours look first rate! (and you know exactly what is "in" them too)

Kat

Last edited:
What you made looks great. If you are cooking at temps above 180 degrees, you won't need the cure. You can treat as you would fresh sausage and it will be great. You can also add ground chuck to it, I would do an amount equal to the total pork and fat. Experiment with your spices that you enjoy, and add a little binder to it to help retain moisture, non fat dry milk works. Looks like you've got a great start going, just continue with your flavor profile. Good Luck.
Hello jmcrig!  Noticed this is your first post here on SMF!  Would you mind popping by Roll Call so we can give you a proper SMF Welcome and Howdy Do?  We would like to know a bit more about you and what you like to do!  http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/f/133/roll-call

Kat

I have tried some Hot Link Recipes that have too much " Stuff " going on. I like the sound of your simple approach...JJ

Those look great.Have never made any sausage so I have a question.....why the ice water bath? 
In doing my research, I learned that the casings will shrink and wrinkle if they stay at that high temperature too long.  It won't affect the flavor, but just looks a little funny.  The idea of the ice water bath is to quickly cool the internal temperature of the meat to prevent this from happening.  Smoke flavor is very sticky (think about the inside of your smoker and how much of a pain it is to clean) so you don't have to worry about losing smoky flavor in this process.  So in short, it's for aesthetics.

I'd love to critique them for you. Please ship four-five to New Hampshire. :-). They look and smell great !!!! :-)

Nice looking sausage, I bet they taste great and they are on my to do list.  Does the fresh jalapenos (or other fresh vegetables) shorten the shelf life of such products?  I am just trying to think how large of a batch I can make and how best to store them.

Thanks!

Looks great! I am going to have to give your recipe a try. Just out of curiousity, how does yours measure up to the sausage that you are trying to emulate?

Great first run.

Hey sir, I stumbled across your sausage recipe and I have always wanted to make this style of sausage. I have 2 questions (I am a novice at smoking)
1. What kind of smoker are you using to manipulate the temps so steady during the time period? I purchased a WSM would I be able to replicate this using that equipment
2. Do you place them back in the smoker to heat up after the cold water bath?

Thanks in advance.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky