Tested some new BB rubs (Jeff's, 12 Bones, Famous Dave's)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

TShepp84

Original poster
Oct 30, 2019
After my first post a few months back I have cooked up a few racks of BBs in my MES with pretty good success (and a Pork, but have been on the search for a solid "go-to" rub. This time around I decided to try a few different rubs to compare side by side. Ventured off to Sam's Club and purchased the 3 pack of BB ribs. What a deal! I was very pleased with the racks that I got; they were meaty and actually had low fat so I didn't have to trim much at all. I will definitely be buying my BB from here on out. I peeled the membrane, seasoned each rack thoroughly with rubs, and in the fridge overnight.

The cook: I've only followed the 3(2)-2-1 method with ribs so far as I have been really happy with how wrapped ribs turns out. Next time I am going to go unwrapped for the whole smoke and see how they turn out. MES 40 fluctuated between 220-240 throughout the cook due to the weather. Smoked with Pittmaster's Choice in the AMNPS for 2.5 hours, 2 hours wrapped in foil with Parkay, brown sugar, honey then unwrapped, hit with a light brush of SBR and smoked unwrapped 40 minutes. The ribs turned out really good. I probably could have unwrapped at 1.5 instead of 2 but I'm being a bit picky.

The Rubs:
  1. Famous Dave's Rib Rub - this edged out as the favorite of the group for this tasting. I've used this rub quite a few times before so I knew what to expect. The rub has a good profile with a nice little kick to it, it's not overly sweet, and holds a good smoky flavor profile. The rub is easily found and cheap compared to most box store rubs.
  2. Jeff's BBQ Rub - this was a close 2nd. I followed the measurements and mixing instructions to a T. This was my first time using Jeff's rub on a rack of ribs and it was quite interesting. It wasn't overbearing and wasn't exactly sweet or spicy despite what I anticipated based on testing it dry with my finger. I really like that this had a good balance without leaning one way or the other on sweet or spicy spectrum. I actually think I might tweak the measurement of an ingredient or two on this for next time because I like a tad more spice but at first pass this was really good!
  3. 12 Bones Butt Rub - this comes from a popular join out in North Carolina. A friend of mine sent me a mason jar of this rub as a gift and I've used it before so I knew what to expect. This rub was the sweetest by far out of the three which is a bit surprising in that the ingredients (I bought their cookbook and it has the recipe) don't show heavy sugar. It has a great flavor to it for sure but was a bit too sweet for the group overall.
I am going to try some more testing in the coming weeks. With the next batch I am going to try tweaked version of Jeff's rub, a dual rub of Famous Dave's and Jeff's Rub, and might order some Killer Hogs. My friend also suggested I should try 2 Gringo's Chupacabra or the McCormick Sweet & Smoky rubs but I am also interested in what others may think?

On to the Q-View :)

Top to Bottom: 12 Bones Butt Rub, Jeff's Rub, Famous Dave's
2.JPG

Famous Dave's complete:
3.JPG

Top: 12 Bones Butt Rub, Bottom Jeff's Rub
4.JPG

Good review.Experimenting is the name of the game.

I generally use a tweaked version of Jeff's rub.Half the paprika and salt,and I use light brown sugar instead of dark.All just a personal preference.

Reactions: zwiller
yes I have the recipe to make it also. That is the original they make many types now.

Warren
I saw this one online. Sounded like it could be good....
  • 1 cup light brown sugar
  • 3/4 cup Tony Chachere’s Cajun Seasoning
  • 2 tablespoons sea salt
  • 2 tablespoons fresh cracked pepper
  • 2 tablespoons garlic powder

Killer hogs is good when used in conjunction with his AP rub. The Vinegar sauce is awesome. My favorite so far is EAT zero to hero in conjunction with the Killer hogs vinegar sauce at the end.

Good review.Experimenting is the name of the game.

I generally use a tweaked version of Jeff's rub.Half the paprika and salt,and I use light brown sugar instead of dark.All just a personal preference.
+1; I bought 5-6 well known/award winning rubs and while pretty good they didn't really blow my mind. From here, I thought maybe I should just try and tweak Jeff's. First time, the only change I made was split the total paprika with 50/50 paprika/chili powder and was a nice step in the right direction. Next time, I went with chili powder in place of the paprika and the rub came alive to me.

Reactions: TShepp84
I’ve used Dave’s on many pork butts and I love the finished product. Great bark with a little kick. I just may head to Kroger soon and grab some meat. Thanks for the review!

Reactions: TShepp84
First time, the only change I made was split the total paprika with 50/50 paprika/chili powder and was a nice step in the right direction. Next time, I went with chili powder in place of the paprika and the rub came alive to me.

That sounds interesting. I know many rubs include paprika for good color as well. I was considering just doubling one of ingredients Jeff’s rub has but I may also have to try this.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky