Test - To foil or not to Foil (spare ribs)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

coacher72

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Mar 16, 2010
Pratt, Kansas
Being new and reading the many posts about the 3-2-1 method and those of you that don't foil, I decided to test the 2 methods last weekend since I was going to smoke 2 slabs. First, before I get berated ;-) about no Qview, my wife left our digital camera at school. Did not know this until I started.

Anyway I thought I would still share. I used a rub similar to Jeff's. However I decided to add chipotle powder to the rub this time. If you don't use chipotle powder in your rubs you might experiment with it. It adds a nice smokey flavor and a little kick to the rub.

I placed both slabs in the smoker at a temp. of 240. I tried to maintain this temp throughout the smoke which I'm still trying to master. I guess I need to mention that I'm using a Yoder 20" offset smoker for the test. After 3 hrs I took one slab out and foiled it leaving the other on the grate. I added a little apple juice to the foiled ribs an place them back into the smoker. After 2 additional hours I took the foiled ribs out and remove the foil. To my surprise at the meatier end of the slab, it was already fall off the bone tender. The last 2 ribs fell out as I lifted the slab out from the foil. For the sake of the test I went ahead and place them back in the smoker for the additional hour. At 3 hrs I began spritzing the un-foiled slab with apple juice. After 6 hrs I took out both slabs. The foiled slab actually tighten up a little but still was very juicey and tender (fall off the bone tender). The unfoiled slab was also very tender. On the meatier end the un-foiled slab was also fall off the bone tender. As you moved down the rib they were still very tender and would come clean from the bone when eaten.
So, I guess my conclusion is that either method would produce a very good rib. Both had a very pronounced smoke ring. I would imagine the foil method may produce a more consistent result. Just a guess, since I've done this only once. I plan to do it again with Qview, to see if these results are the same.
Again I apologize for the lack of pictures and promise I will have them the next time.
Also if you haven't experimented with Chipotle powder It's worth a try.

Now that test has been done alot here but thanjs for your input on them too. Now I have done ribs both ways and I got pretty much the small results except the ribs the were unfoiled had a netter bark to them.

I've found the same thing. I prefer a bark on mine so I don't foil. I also like a little "pull" on mine to where they don't fall apart when I lift the whole slap. When they are in the foil I can't see them pull back from the bone and they always end up a little too done for my liking.

I like the bark you get, but to soften the bark a tad for my wife and kids, I foil them when I pull them off the smoker. Then let them rest in the cooler for an hour. The moisture re-distributes throughout the entire piece of meat better and the bark is still firm, but not cruchy (as my kids say).

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky