test burn problems

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

3ddiver

Original poster
Mar 25, 2010
Illinois
I got done building my propane tank smoker and decided to test fire it. The first run I was using wet wood so it wasnt a real good test. Today I was using charcoal and dry wood and I could not get the temo above 250. I have a 26x18x18 firebox on the back of it and a 6 inch hole between the box and smoker. The exhaust is also 6 inches. I had a raging fire inside the fire box and the top of the smoker was too hot to touch. The bottom of the smoker you could lay your hand on. My exhaust stack does go down into the cooker almost to the grates. Can some one suggest something to bring my temps up? I know it is hot enough for smoking but I want to use it as a grill sometimes as well and I think you should be able to get it a lot hotter than it is.

I did have the exhaust open all the way but have not set anything on the grates to check temp

What kind of thermometer are you using is it reliable. Do the boil test to make sure it is accurate. Then I would put the thermo on the grate starting at one end then slowly moving it across the grate so you can see if there are any temp differences between the two ends of the smoker. Where is your probe positioned right now?

Right now I just have one from a bbq grill because my other one hasnt arrived yet. I will have to test it. It is located in the door about an inch above the grates. I have a good probe thermometer, I think I saw something about putting it in a piece of wood on the grates? I will have to check into that.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky