Teriyaki Jerky Suggestions

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

placebo

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jul 24, 2007
Sacramento, CA
I have never made teriyaki jerky before but am planning on attempting it this weekend. My question is what is the best way to ensure the meat gets cured? I have two teriyaki sauces (wet) that I will be using. Should I just add the proper amount of TQ for the amount of meat I'm using to the teriyaki sauce and put in the fridge for 24 hours? Or should I marinate in the teriyaki sauce first, then drain, and then sprinkle cure on and put back in fridge for 24 hours. Or is there another way that you use that might work better?

Thanks for any and all advice!

The problem lies in the salt content. If you use the Tenderquick, the premade Teri is not gonna work well, due to TQ including the salt. Now..if you go with the Prague, you will not have that issue.

Maybe Mr. Arrdvark has some suggestions?

Thanks for the info Rich. The extra salt that would result from adding TQ to pre-made teriyaki is exactly what I was concerned about. I wonder if a little extra water or sugar would help counter that? In regards to the Prague powder do you think #1 or #2 would be best?

On another note. In case you didn't see it in the other post I made. I recently added some Smitty's Dust to a batch of jerky I did and the results were spectacular!

Yes, but in minimal amounts compared to Tenderquick. They are a much more concentrated form of nitrate cure.

In the sausage industry the nitrites and nitrates are pre-formulated into a product called Prague powder #1 and Prague powder #2. Prague powder #1 contains 6.25% sodium nitrite and 93.75% sodium chloride and is used for the preparation of all cured meats and sausages other than the dry type. Prague powder #2 contains 1 ounce of sodium nitrite and 0.64 ounces sodium nitrate per pound of finished product (the remaining 14.36 ounces is sodium chloride) and is used for the preparation of Cured dry sausages. Prague powder #2 should NEVER be used on any product that will be fried at high temperature (eg. bacon) because of the formation of nitrosamines.

From Wiki

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky