Tenderloin help please?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ozark rt

Meat Mopper
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jan 25, 2007
North Arkansas
The local market had tenderloins on sale when I went by to pick up some babybacks and a boston butt so I thought I might give it a shot. But the problem is I've never smoked a loin before, I've only wrapped them in bacon and indirect grilled a couple in the past. So my question is do any of you fine people have an idea or two as to what to do with a loin? All I have done with it so far is rub it & wrap it. I'm open to any and all suggestions.
Thanks, Richard

I don't like to answer a question with a question, but--- are you talking about a tenderloin or a full loin. There is a difference and the answers you need will depend on which one you have.

I'm with Shortone on that one!
If it is steaks ... grill them ... period!
If it is the whole shebang ... well now ... we can talk!
icon_mrgreen.gif

Like Squeezy said, except I would take it to at least 160 to 165 to be safe with pork. My pork and birds have to be well done. Beef can be rarer.

Dutch has a thread with a good stuffed loin recipe. I've done that a couple times and it's good stuff.

I usually soak mine in apple juice around 3 hrs then lightly rub with yellow mustard. Then rub with jeffs rib rub and smoke to internal temp of 155*. Wrap it in foil and a towel and let set for 1 hr before slicing.

Yeah 160°F at least! I read on the USDA site a while back they are thinking about bumping that up to 170°F. Can't remember why.

Thanks guys and gals. The loin, butt, and ribs are all very happy at the moment. A little over 2 hours in and all is well at 228°. The loin rested overnight wrapped with mustard and my favorite rib rub. This a.m. she recieved another generous dusting and will be quenched with an apple/pineapple juice mixture. I'll try to post pics later.

Ozark, are you talking about a pork tenderloin or beef tenderloin? I know it sounds like a goofy question, but that may be why you received the variance in recommended cooking temps.

If it's pork, I'd do the same as others have suggested. Put on the rub, spritz with apple juice while smoking, then wrap in foil after about 2 hours. I take mine to a final temp of 160.

It wasn't too long ago that pork was recommended to be cooked until a minimum temp of 170. The FDA found that modern pork raising and slaughtering practices were cleaner than in the past and determined that 160 was now an acceptable temp.

Enjoy that tenderloin. I'm sure we'd all like to see pics of how it came out.

Kev

It's a pork tender loin Kev. My bad for not making that clear in the first place. It took it to 165°, wrapped in foil, a towel, & stuffed in the cooler. Something I didn't realize was that even a tenderloin will plateau some. This one reached 155° & stayed still for over an hour. I'll put up some pics after the ribs, butt, chicken breasts, & ABT's are done.
Thanks y'all.
RT

If a tenderloin, I would not waste time smoking it. Since you already have the smoker going, do it there. This cut of meat is tender enough and a light grilling would be better. A regular loin, I would marinade and smoke.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky