Temperature of brisket after wrapping in foil and going in cooler...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

id2nv2nj2ca

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Sep 22, 2012
Glendora, Ca.
Hi everyone.  Tried my hand at smoking a brisket overnight.  First, I don't understand the difference between the flat and the tip, even after watching 4 or 5 videos of prepping one.  I think I got a disfigured one from Sam's, but live and learn, right? :)  It was over 16 pounds from the store, and I trimmed a LOT of fat off, and eventually cut it in half.  Need to smoke the other half today.

Anyway, I put it in the smoker last night around 10pm, thinking it would take about 12 hours to reach an IT of 190 or so, with the temp on my MES 40 set about 230.  It actually hit 190 in about 10 hours, and was actually at 192 when I pulled it out of the smoker.  I had wrapped it in foil when it hit 185, FYI.  Well, I pulled it when the IT hit 192, put it in a towel, into the cooler, and then covered with another towel, and the temperature did not go up even 1 degree, but has consistently gone down.  Bad cooler, wrong towel?  Any ideas why it didn't continue to climb at least a few degrees?

Thanks in advance.  And pray it's not too dry and that it tastes good.  I spent over $40 on that piece of meat and really hate for it to be wasted. :)

Oh, and since everyone likes photos, here it is shortly after going in the smoker.  When I wrapped it, it was MUCH smaller and had a nice bark all around, but you'll have to take my word for it as it was too cold out to take a photo. :)

Hello.  I'm going to ask a really silly question:  the cooler was warm right?  I use 2-3 towels or a blanket.  Each brisket has a mind of it's own. The other half may take 20 hrs.  Outside temp and humidity will affect the cook also, you mentioned to was cold out.  As you know, cook to IT not time and you should be fine.  Hope it turned out well.  Good luck.  Keep Smokin!

Danny

Hello.  I'm going to ask a really silly question:  the cooler was warm right?  I use 2-3 towels or a blanket.  Each brisket has a mind of it's own. The other half may take 20 hrs.  Outside temp and humidity will affect the cook also, you mentioned to was cold out.  As you know, cook to IT not time and you should be fine.  Hope it turned out well.  Good luck.  Keep Smokin!

Danny
The cooler had been outside, but I took it in to rinse it off with warm/hot water.  So, I don't think that would have been the issue.  I only cook to IT now, as I have learned my lesson....sort of.  The flavor was OK, but it was pretty dry on the outside edges.  The middle part was much better, but I think I need to put more rub on or something to give it a little more flavor.  The smoke was good.  Used Todd's Pitmasters Choice on that one.  The other half that's in now, I am using apple, a little cherry, and a mix of hickory and pecan.  Will see if it tastes any different.

Thanks for the reply. :)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky