Temperature effect on cure safety?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

charswifterie

Original poster
Aug 8, 2016
Kansas
OK. Today is smoking day. I believe an apple hickory combo is in order for a big hunk of pork shoulder that sat in a modified (of course) corned beef brine.

Here is my problem:

I brined it in a food grade bucket for a week or so. I cool it by switching out sets of two blue ice packs, as our fridge is full of the family's food. ADHD John forgot to switch the packs, and it became room temp for about twelve hours or more, four days into the process. I think it's a strong enough cure, but will it overcome the temp problem? I cold smoke at 100-140˚ for six hours (worst possible temp, but that's what the cardboard box/Mini Chief setup does), then finish in a moist oven at 300˚ till I hit 150˚ inside the meat. Smoker takes it to 110˚ give or take.

Opinions?

Can I just up the final internal temp to 160˚ and call it good? Or should I freeze dry it and sell bits of it to middle aged ladies who want to reduce their laugh lines?

Thanks in advance for advising me!

John

A whole Butt is not likely cured to center in one week. It needs to be injected or go one day per 1/2" thickness  That said.Room temp for a dozen hours will not hurt and the IT is fine. Even it not cured to center, it is cooked and you are good to go...JJ

Last edited:
Reactions: charswifterie
yeahthat.gif
......   and inject around the bones to be sure they get cure and flavorings...

yeahthat.gif
......   and inject around the bones to be sure they get cure and flavorings...
I took out the scapula and have one piece making salt pork, and the one being smoked. 3" thick max. I brined it the day I joined this forum I think.....

Thank you, gentlemen. I did not want to have to start trying to compete with the Hollywood plastic surgery industry !

hit.gif

A whole Butt is not likely cured to center in one week. It needs to be injected or go one day per 1/2" thickness  That said.Room temp for a dozen hours will not hurt and the IT is fine. Even it not cured to center, it is cooked and you are good to go...JJ
Right on!

sausage.gif

It was five days, but a pretty strong brine with a raised temp likely accelerated it a bit, or so I hope.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky