Temperature differences?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Mike

Original poster
Jun 14, 2020
Good morning - I'm using a book which generally recommends a smoker temp of 225F and an internal temp of 165F.

On recommendation, I purchased a second book, "Smokin" by Myron Mixon. His recommendations for smoking appear to be much higher; for example for a brisket, he recommends a smoker temp of 350F and an ending internal temp of 205F.

Any idea why such a difference in approaches? Is one better than the other? Thanks, Mike

IT varies by meat type and cut. When I cook steak, I go for an IT of about 120 - 125 F, when I cook brisket or pork, I am usually shooting for an IT in the 200 degree F range. When I cook chicken or turkey, I am looking for an IT of 165 F, when I am smoking sausage, an IT of 155 F is sufficient.

As far as temp goes, for normal smoking, ribs, brisket, pork shoulder, I go with a solid 250 F

For poultry I will adjust the temp based upon how I want the skin to turn out.

For sausage, I usually ramp the temperature up over the course of a few hours but don't ever go over 200 F

If you want to cook fast and hot, you can use that method as well but it is less forgiving.

Hope this helped a bit.

JC :emoji_cat:

Reactions: texomakid
There are many ways to smoke and most are personal preferences. The type of equipment and fuel used can also dictate the amount of smoke generated and what temps can be achieved.

You don't mention what type of meat you are intending to smoke re: IT of 165º. Generally pork butts are the most forgiving. You can smoke them anywhere from a grate temp of 225º-350º. The only variables will be the amount of time it takes and the above. BTW: butts (approx 9#s) usually are done somewhere around 200-205º. Briskets are trickier, they are leaner and time is needed to render the internal collagen. Packers can run anywhere from 9#-23# before trimming. Here too, they can be successfully smoked at different temps, high & fast or low & slow. Time and temps are ONLY GUIDELINES, each piece of meat can be different. EX) I've had briskets get done anywhere from 195º to 210º. Knowing how to test for doneness is the key.

Hi Mike. As you have found by these books that there is a wide range in opinions how to produce good bbq and there is no right or wrong way if you are happy with the results . 225 is a more traditional temp for smoking but in my opinion 165 finish internal temp is only good for chicken. It's too low to make a tough cut of meat tender and too high for a tender cut of meat as it will be well done. Mixons temp of 350 is definitely on the high end of the temp range but will get the cook done quick. Most folks would cook at a lower temp. His finish temp of 205 is a good average for brisket but probing for tenderness starting around 195 will yield better results as every brisket is different and will finish at different internal temps. Try different methods and settle on what works for you.

Reactions: JC in GB
I'm hot and fast all the way on briskets, starting at 250 for two/three hours then 350 until the end.

Yes to Mike to let us know what type of meat are we talking about? Also, what type of smoker are we using?

Yes to Mike to let us know what type of meat are we talking about? Also, what type of smoker are we using?
It wasn't a specific type of meat/poultry; it was a general observation. But thanks for your reply.

Reactions: JC in GB
Good morning - I'm using a book which generally recommends a smoker temp of 225F and an internal temp of 165F.

On recommendation, I purchased a second book, "Smokin" by Myron Mixon. His recommendations for smoking appear to be much higher; for example for a brisket, he recommends a smoker temp of 350F and an ending internal temp of 205F.

Any idea why such a difference in approaches? Is one better than the other? Thanks, Mike

Im guessing the 165F was a wrap temp for collagen packed meats
250-275F is my avg cooking temp for most meats
195-205F collagen packed meats are melted

I'm hot and fast all the way on briskets, starting at 250 for two/three hours then 350 until the end.
My 1st brisket 12lb on offset at 265-285 took 10 hrs to hit 205 wrapped at 160.
I am ding a 10lb on memorial day and want to use myrons 350 but I like the idea of starting it slow. then increase just as your method suggests.

How long did it take with your ramp up method? for what size brisket?

Labor day (today) I smoked a brisket 10.5lbs before trim, just over 2 inched thick.
basic $300 OJ offset smoker.
My 1st Brisket 12lbs before trim about 3 inched thick,
took 10 hrs with 1 hr hold
at 265-285F.

40% Pepper/40% Salt 20% mixture of Ancho, Mulato, and Pasilla dried chilies
Injection of Beef Broth/Apple Cider Vinegar,
and touch of Worcestershire and cayenne powder

Started at 5am-7am 230-250F for 2hrs
- Internal Temp 145F Flat/155F Point (point facing fire)
Ramped to to 300-325F 7am -8am - Internal Temp 155F Flat/165F Point
Placed into high sided 1/2 Sheet Tin and foiled the top.
8-10am 300-325F - Internal Temp 199F Flat/203F Point)
Pulled, opened foil top, bathed in juices with nice dark bark and jello like jiggly meat on point, flat seemed stiff.
(softer bark than my first brisket wrapped with butcher paper)
Waited for internal temp to drop to low 190's and
placed in 170F Oven until dinner to be served at 3pm.
Internal was down to 170F by 12pm.

It ddi not get served til 6pm.
In the oven the foil was loose.
As a result it was dried out.
Also even though it reached Internal temp it was tough.
Every loved the Taste of what they were able to chew.

Possible Errors Made
1)Should it have been tightly wrapped during a hold time,?
Frankiln BBQ holds meats all day at 170 waiting to be served,
ofcourse wrapped in butcher, which i did not do.
Kicking my self for not remembering to ask the butcher for a few extra sheets.

B) When they say Time and Temperature to melt collagen (165-185F)
they mean it!

C) lower slow ramped some how contributed to Dry

Not exactly Myrons method,
it was similar with a few tweeks...
Either way it was a failure

Last edited:
Cooking/smoking temp is more about the physics of heat transfer than anything else. The meat will go thru the same process of rendering fat and melting collagen regardless of the temp used, but a lower temp helps insure a more even process over a longer period of time. Someone who gets their desired results at 300F wiIl believe that's the perfect temp. Same for 225F, 250F, etc. Pick a temp for each type of meat and use it while learning. Experiment with other temps later as your experience builds. You'll know you've mastered your smoker when you can use any temp and get the desired results for a given cut of meat. Skin-on poultry is one exception. It likes high temps to get bite-thru skin. No skin, any temp.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky