Temp question ?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

t-bone tim

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Feb 24, 2007
N.B. Canada
Okay folks ...I have my doors bolted on and thought I'd try my burners out ? I have a double hotplate ,one side 1000 watts and the other 500,I put them both on high with an ambient air temp of 40 f.....in about 25 min I had an internal temp of 220 f ....is this going to be enough temp to hot smoke as well as cold as I wish to do both ? any suggestions ? Thanks all in advance Tim.

Yep, what Carl said. As the ambient temp rises, you should be able to adjust the hot plate(s) to maintain the 220*-240* range.

Is there anyway to put two-1000watt elements in? If you are only getting 220 now with it empty, I would think you need more top-end for when you load it up totally, especially living in the Great White North!

I think empty, you want your temps at least up to 275. Once you load food in, the temps will drop some. Another thing you may consider is some sort of water pan to act as a heatsink. Just make sure to pour boiling water into instead of having the smoker do the heating.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky