Temp not coming up

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

lilricky

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Feb 13, 2011
Tigerton, Wisconsin
Hi all. I have just recently completed my mini UDS build (will post pics when I transfer from phone as they will not post from there for some reason).

Any way, I built it from a 15 gallon barrel(no liner, no need to do an extensive burn), lid and grate from a small char-griller grill I had at home and for the charcoal basket, I used a grill wok that I put bolts through to give a 2" lift off the bottom.

The trouble I am having is that I cannot get the temp over 190*. The ball vale is a 1/2'" diameter and I am thinking I may need to either put on another or replace with a larger one.

Any help is appreciated

You just don't have enough air inlet...easy fix You need at least three 3/4 inch but i would go 4. It's always better having more than less.

Three 3/4 inch nipples with caps and one 3/4 ball valve.    You could even go to 1" on the nipples too....like i said you can always close off what you don't need.  It's nice having more to get it hot quick and cook high heat poultry. 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky