Temp Help

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

iamrip

Fire Starter
Original poster
Oct 16, 2006
Kingsburg, CA
OK, this is probably a terrible question but I am too new and inexperienced to know the answer. I have read how to keep constant high heat with the minion method. Now how do you measure that heat? I smoked my first chicken last weekend and tried using a meat thermometer to measure the temperature in the smoker. My lid does not sit flush with the smoker leaving a gap. I just stuck the probe in the gap and watched the temp rise. My problem is I don't believe what the thermometer is telling me. I NEED HELP!

Tell us more about your smoker..Brand name ? We're here to help, just need more info.

2 things you can do.

1. get a drill, put a hole in your smoker at the grate level, and insert a therm designed for smokers. you can find them for around 20 bucks or so and do a great job.

2. the you the maveric ET-73. it is a digital therm with two sensors. one to read the temp at the grate and one probe for the meat temp. it is nice

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky