Temp gauge not on door digital idea

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

veener88

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Apr 16, 2006
Northern IL
I have a question about the placment of my temb gauge. When I got my smoker going this weekend I ran into a problem. Some how my door got twisted between prep and paint and it was not sealing well. I do not know if that caused this issue or not the temp gauge on my door was horrable. It was off by over 50 deg at points. I just did not get it. So my temp fix was taking an older wired temp gauge with a magnetic back and fit the coard between the top barrel and the door and have the prob about 1/2" from the grate dead center. I have to say it worked great. I just put the read out on the side of the of the smoker so I could read it right from my door to the deck.

I am going to return the new temp gauge since I think it has to have some problems to drop 70deg in less then 5 sec but I do not know if I want to get a new one. I do not like the drop down prob idea but I like the digital read out. My idea am I thinking of could I drill a small hole in the back of the smoker and put a rubber grommet on it and then take the probe and put it just over the gate level. Or could I take the normal temp gauge and put it on the side of the smoker? I am just not sure if I would get a good reading there with it being closer to the stack bringing in the heat and the chimmney stack.

I am going to cut a new door on Wensday and go from a 1/2" over lap to a 1" all around so I thought this would be a good time to ask before I cut into it and find out that anouther idea would have worked.

If you have any other idea please let me know.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky