Tell me about smoked meatloaf...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

shelton573

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Aug 8, 2014
SE Iowa
Hello Folks,

Last weekend we smoked 6 pork T-Loin and 60 ABTs on my barrel smoker and did 2 big chickens on my brothers barrel.  I committed the greatest sin of not taking any pictures...I know I know.  This sunday I was hoping to make a smoked meatloaf and was wondering what the best process was.  I plan on putting it on a perforated stirfry grate with no pan.  I plan on using cherry or apple wood and smoke it at 250 and glaze with sauce toward the end.  Anyone have a good recipe that they recommend that I could give a try?  I have a 3 lb roll of good homegrown beef but it is about 93% lean.  Is that too lean?  Thanks in advance for any help!

Shelton

I don't like a lot of bread crumbs or other filler in mine, but I also don't like dry meatloaf. What I've done is to grind up an onion in the food processor and add that and about a half cup of nonfat dry milk powder to the mix as well. Makes for a very moist meatloaf without the mushy texture the bread gives. This is for about a 3lb meatloaf.

Last edited:
I don't like a lot of bread crumbs or other filler in mine, but I also don't like dry meatloaf. What I've done is to grind up an onion in the food processor and add that and about a half cup of nonfat dry milk powder to the mix as well. Makes for a very moist meatloaf without the mushy texture the bread gives. This is for about a 3lb meatloaf.
Thanks for the reply!  What % fat content do you use?  Will the 93 be too lean or will the onion and milk powder save it?  Thanks again!

Shelton

I think the 93 should be ok. The onion and milk powder will add a lot of moisture. Granted, it's not the same as more fat, but it works.

Smoked meatloaf

I've been wanting to try a smoked Meatloaf for some time. I went to Walmart the other day to buy some hamburger, and was shocked to see the cheap stuff at $4.00 a pound! I can buy pork Butt for $1.79, so why would I buy hamburger for $4?

I get ground turkey at Save A Lot for about $2.25 for a pound tube, so I decided to try that. I got out my stand mixer and added 2 tubes to the bowl along with 1/2 packet of cornbread stove top stuffing, 1/8 cup teriaki sauce, 1 egg, and a couple pinched of ground black pepper.

Mix this well with the mixer on low speed. I learned this trick on the cooking network -- it mixes thing together more evenly and keeps the mixture less compacted than doing it be hand.

Spray a sheet of aluminum foil with cooking spray and dump the mixture onto it and form into a loaf. Put two layers of bacon strips on top and trim away excess foil, leaving about 1 inch or so around the edges. Place in smoker. I used hickory and cooked at about 270 or so until international temp reached about 160.

About 30 minutes before I thought it would be done, I put some store brand Honey BBQ Sauce on top of the bacon. When the IT hit 160, I but it under the broiler until the sauce caramelizes and the bacon crisps.

Anyway, IT WAS GREAT, nice dense texture, yet moist and SO flavorful!

I don't use a bunch of filler or eggs. I do use quinoa (precooked) lots of good veggies. I go straight on the grate. Usually I try and keep the smoker around 180-200 so I get a good smoke in it since they cook fast. Take the loaf to an IT of 156 pull off the smoker and enjoy. You can moo some sauce on top and add grated cheese the last 30 minutes or so if you like. I prefer a 50/50 mix of cherry and pecan or cherry and kiawe.

Good luck and show off your smoke.

Look in Jeff's book for "Abis Meatloaf" recipe. The basic recipe is good. I use 85-90% hamburger if I can get it. I like the eggs and milk to add moisture and I use oatmeal for a binder. It cooks into the meat with the milk and doesn't give a bread look. A good finish is brown sugar and ketchup. Good luck, Joe.

Thanks for all the info guys!  I believe I will go ahead and try the 93 and just add onion and what not to keep it moist.  The beef was free so I wont be out any money if it is a failure.  Does anyone add ground sausage to theirs?  I know a lady that puts in sausage when she does them in the oven and says it is good.

Shelton

I could eat meatloaf everyday! As for moisture, I add minced onion and I also add 1/4 c of A1 Chicago steakhouse marinade as well. I also brush this on the top as I am not a big fan of ketchup.

We use a mix of beef/pork. Light on the bread crumbs. Lots of jalapeños and onions. Bacon. Patons sauce....or BBQ sauce...No pan....and a QMATZ from Todd

My meatloaf recipes all use lean ground meat, a combination of even parts beef, turkey, and pork.  The pork, even though it is labeled "lean," is still probably 80/20 so I get fat there.  I use Ritz crackers pulverized in a blender for a binder.  I like it so much better than panko bread crumbs.  I do add various liquids and some fat in the form of ............ sour cream.  Might sound yucky but I was surprised at the result the first time I tried it long ago. 

Sausage works great but definitely has a significant impact on the flavor of the meatloaf.  When I do my 1/3 equal parts mix, replacing the pork with sausage, the sausage is the predominate flavor.        

I could eat meatloaf everyday! As for moisture, I add minced onion and I also add 1/4 c of A1 Chicago steakhouse marinade as well. I also brush this on the top as I am not a big fan of ketchup.
I agree with the ketchup!  Only had meatloaf once with ketchup...never again. 
We use a mix of beef/pork. Light on the bread crumbs. Lots of jalapeños and onions. Bacon. Patons sauce....or BBQ sauce...No pan....and a QMATZ from Todd
Do you use raw jalapenos and do you pre cook the bacon?

My meatloaf recipes all use lean ground meat, a combination of even parts beef, turkey, and pork.  The pork, even though it is labeled "lean," is still probably 80/20 so I get fat there.  I use Ritz crackers pulverized in a blender for a binder.  I like it so much better than panko bread crumbs.  I do add various liquids and some fat in the form of ............ sour cream.  Might sound yucky but I was surprised at the result the first time I tried it long ago. 

Sausage works great but definitely has a significant impact on the flavor of the meatloaf.  When I do my 1/3 equal parts mix, replacing the pork with sausage, the sausage is the predominate flavor.        
How much Ritz do you use?  I think I would like that much better than bread crumb.  Does the sour cream flavor stand out heavy or is it pretty mild?  I love sour cream and even put it in my chili, but the other people that may be eating it might not feel the same way.

Thanks for all the info guys!

Shelton

I also either grind some bacon to mix in or crisp it in a skillet then crumble into the mix.  I do a lot of venison meatloaf so I need the fat and you can never go wrong with bacon.

Last edited:
There a lot of recipes with beef and pork. I tried one with 2 parts beef and 1 part ground pork. We definitely did not like the flavor profile. I'll stick with all beef. When I finish with onion, milk, Worcestershire, egg, etc. moisture is not a problem. Also, the brown sugar in the glaze gives the ketchup a whole new flavor.
Good luck, Joe FCC

How much Ritz do you use?  I think I would like that much better than bread crumb.  Does the sour cream flavor stand out heavy or is it pretty mild?  I love sour cream and even put it in my chili, but the other people that may be eating it might not feel the same way.

Thanks for all the info guys!

Shelton
For 3 lbs of meat I use 18 Ritz crackers, or 6 crackers/lb.  We also use herb seasoned stuffing mix in meat loaf.  You can experiment with how much you like.  Run it through a blender too.  I like very little, like 2/3 cup for 3 lbs of meat.  My kids and wife like more, like 1 1/2 cups. 

You don't taste the sour cream at all, which was amazing to us. I tried it on a whim.  Kind of reminds me of putting yellow mustard on a butt, you don't taste it. 

I use 1/3 cup sour cream for 3 lbs of meat.  The first time I did it my wife was like "OMG, I think I'm going to be sick," but she raved about the results.  The smoker took it to a whole 'nuther level.  She always made her meatloaf with a particular brand of boxed seasoned rice pilaf that is no longer being made.  Consequently she stopped making meatloaf and that's when I took over, getting creative.

I did a 4lb meatloaf and it was not dry at all - good luck and here is a shot at mine

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/206595/4lb-meatloaf-oh-ya

A full smoker is a happy smoker

DS

That is a dang good lookin loaf DS!

For 3 lbs of meat I use 18 Ritz crackers, or 6 crackers/lb.  We also use herb seasoned stuffing mix in meat loaf.  You can experiment with how much you like.  Run it through a blender too.  I like very little, like 2/3 cup for 3 lbs of meat.  My kids and wife like more, like 1 1/2 cups. 

You don't taste the sour cream at all, which was amazing to us. I tried it on a whim.  Kind of reminds me of putting yellow mustard on a butt, you don't taste it. 

I use 1/3 cup sour cream for 3 lbs of meat.  The first time I did it my wife was like "OMG, I think I'm going to be sick," but she raved about the results.  The smoker took it to a whole 'nuther level.  She always made her meatloaf with a particular brand of boxed seasoned rice pilaf that is no longer being made.  Consequently she stopped making meatloaf and that's when I took over, getting creative.
Thanks for the info!  Unfortunately I didn't get to try it last weekend but hopefully Sunday I will.

Shelton

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky