Telfair County, Georgia

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mpeachhead

Fire Starter
Original poster
Mar 3, 2008
Greetings. I have a Brinkmann Smoke'n Pit. I notice some people on the site call it an El Cheapo. I'm pretty good with a Weber grill, and I have come to love the minion method using it. My question is about using the minion method with my Brinkmann. Is that possible. I don't mind the constant maintenance during the day, but at 1 1/2 hours per pound, how in the hell am I supposed to cook a 10 pound butt on the smoker without cooking through the night? Does anyone here use the minion method with a pit smoker like mine.

Welcome to the forum.

You can use the "minion method" on anything, but controlling the air intake is the key. If you can't restrict the air coming in, all you get is a real hot fire.

On the butts taking all night...........what temp do you cook them at? If you have been sticking around 225 or so, up the temp to 250-275.....they will get done quicker with no drop in quality.

I've been going with the 180-220 temp. I'll try the 250-275 from here on out and see if I can get them to cook a little quicker.

Yeah, the air intake is what I was worried about. What do recommend to control that? Just cram aluminum foil into any spot that seems to leak air?

Thanks,

Michael

Foil would probably be the easiest, there are plenty of guys on here that have used different methods/fixes that will probably chime in with advice, but yeah, foil will be the quickest and easiest IMO.

Yeah, up the temps.........especially on the butts, they are very forgiving.

Fatback,

Hello from Va, this is a cool place. Lots of friendly people seemingly willing to help you with just about anything... In fact, I am going to as them about this rash I have on my.... well never mind. You get the point. Lots of knowledgeable and friendly people!

Welcome,
JohnGil

Thanks for the advice, everyone. I have another question about the baffle. I read Coley's thread about this, but for some reason the picture wouldn't load. I'd like to install one because I obviously have a hot spot near my fire box, but I'm not planning on welding anything there. What is the next best solution? Just cramming an aluminum pie plate in that spot? What would I attach it with?

Can someone upload a picture to help me out?

Thanks,

Michael Williams

I lived there for two years also. Yeah, the roads are littered with BBQ joints. I personally prefer a small one in Lumber City, GA, called Stinson's. They do a mustard vinegar sauce. It's delicious if that's what you like.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky