Team member with smoker wanted for Oinktoberfest in Clarence New York

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Thanks for all the good wishes, Debi and I will of course take some pictures and report back as to how we do. If nothing else, we always have a great time at this one and it's growing every year.

Wouldn't it be fun if next year I could have a whole lot of you on my team? Now that might be a goal, the biggest team ever in competition history. Party of 50...............hmmmmm................
Think of all the butts and brisket we'd have to chose from, and we could take our prize winnings and donate to a good cause, like the SMF gathering the following year for a band or something.

Any word on when y'all might set a date for the gathering in '08?

Well now that I've seen the picture of the Smokey mountain thing again I think we can handle it. Never used one but it looks like a round bottomed ECB sort of. At least it has a door and we won't have to pick the whole thing up to add fuel. Is it seasoned? Well we can do that Friday I guess.

I have one more tiny little problem to overcome ... I lost the brakes on my Dakota tonight.

I was driving home from work and saw a neighbot down the block cutting down a white birch and asked for the wood. I was psyched! It was a nice tree but the city decided it was hitting the power lines and it had to be trimmed - the they found out it was dying so it came down. The were nice enough to make most of it small enough for me to carry while I watched, but when I came home to get the truck they got much bigger!

ANY WHO ... we drove down to get the wood and all was well, when we circled the block the brakes felt squishy and came close the the floor boards. I just had new brakes, lines, rotors and stuff put on last summer only a few hundred miles ago so I don't know what it could be. I'll peek at it tommorrow when it gets light out again and see what I can find. I may have to bring it back to the shop that did the work and ask what the $%#@ is going on!

The good news is a scored a truck load of free white birch!

If you just sit like you were at a light, holding the brake and in drive and the peddle fades to the floor it's probably a master cylinder unless you've blown a wheel cylinder but you said no puddles so it's probably not that.

Just got squishy all of a sudden. If it leaked it was while I was driving but I couldn't feel anything wet unles it was way under the truck on the center lines.

Personally Debi, I would take it directly back to where you got it fixed and tell them you'll give them two days to correct whatever the heck it is, and if you are directed elsewhere or told you'll be charged you tell them this:

YOU will give THEM several options.
One is to fix whatever wasn't done properly to begin with.
Two is to show you exactly where some force of nature damaged their perfect job.
Or three, you will gladly take it elsewhere and will submit a copy of your bill to the better business bureau and their attorney.................lol............can you tell I'm frustrated? Now that I see your dilemma though, mine feels pretty petty.

I just got done boiling and peeling a bunch of eggs for the macaroni salad and I can Never ever get the damn things to peel easy.

Don't bother sending recipes, I've tried it every which way, and if you really want to hear me whine, let me tell you about the party that ordered 250 deviled eggs once. lol.....needless to say they came off my catering menu immediately.

Keep us updated, how did you do locating a rim and tire for a spare?
Let me see what I can locate your way, where in Connecticut are you?

Yeah I'm taking in tomorrow luckily it's only a few blocks away. Hopefully I still have some brakes left by morning. Hopefully they can fix it tomorrow or i a day or two. We need that truck to hawl the smoker!

The darn things only 15 years old and got just over 50,000 miles on it! (I did say I don't use it much). Had it's first tuneup last year. I had it since it was brand new. I buy em new and drive em till they die or rot out - whichever comes first. I really hate to change cars.

wow a woman that knows mechanics... maybesome hlphere about hardboiledeggs- room temp & add salt to the water for easier peeling. it really doesn't matter nowdays w/ thin shelled steroid fed eggs.... even notice how easy it is to break a store bought shell... thats the dope they feed the chickens now... try farm fresh amish eggs- shells like rock..

I just got done boiling and peeling a bunch of eggs for the macaroni salad and I can Never ever get the damn things to peel easy.

Never have a problem...Eggs in pot(don't matter how many) cover with water, bring to boil, turn off, cover and let sit for 20 minutes. Drain and ice eggs for 5 minutes. Peel immediately..Works every time..

Thank you all for the well wishes! Sounds like it will be great fun and I'm REALLY excited about finally meeting Shelly! She sounds like a real corker! I just hope she's good at directing (softly) cuz I have no idea what we need to do there besides smoke some meat and tend the fire.

This will be my first time ever meeting someone else that smokes food or seeing other smokers besides mine and the ones at Walmart, Home Depot or Lowes. I got my batteries changing for the camera for posting and for learning tips and techniques from other smokers.

The trucks at the doctors and they said unless it something weird like brake lines or master cylinder it should be under warentee. I guess we'll know in a day or two. The boys down there at Firestone have taken good care of me for alot of years I have faith in them.

What a relief Debbie, I hope it is under warranty. I've got a catering job this afternoon but definitely keep me posted...........otherwise I'm calling Greyhound to see if the smoker would fit in the luggage compartment.

Have a great day,we'll gab later maybe?

Not to worry Shelly I won't let you down! I think if I take it apart I can fit it in the car if I have to just not liking all that rust and grease on my tan seats! I know it won't fit it then trunk.

**** .... not what was done.

Something wrong with the rear wheel I forgot once I heard the price and the lines are rotted again and the emergeny brake cable is broke too. $800! They'll do it today Shell so don't worry - I'll be there!

Still gotta go find a rim though ...

Got the truck back last night and it seems to be a happy truck again!
I'm commin Shelly! At this point winning would be more than welcome!
rolleyes.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky