Tasty Bacon Treats From Omaha!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

buck futta

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Apr 9, 2010
Coeur d'Alene, ID
Hey, gotta make this quick. Just got done breaking in the new smoker, I am impressed!

Wanted to do something simple and fairly quick for a first time today. I had an idea after seeing a smoked side pork Qview yesterday. I needed a rack desperately to hang juicy tidbits from. When I stumbled across the how-to thread on making a fire-box I knew exactly what I had to do.

Ran down to the local machine/ metal shop where many of this builds parts came from and picked up a 4' x 3' sheet of expanded stainless steel on the cheap. Just enough to make a small fire box and rack to hang tasty morsels from!

Here is my weapon of cholesterol corruption!

Having the new firebox in the bottom barrel made it so we went though a little more fuel than planned. But I did have consistant TBS for most of the three hours it took.

Like I said I'm keeping this fairly short as I have places to be soon. Here is the results of my first smoke!

Short and sweet, just like the tasty pork! More to come!

PS - That's 3/8" Side Pork, and Maple Cured Bacon!
icon_mrgreen.gif

Now thats one good looking smoker and It looks as if it works really good too. Now lets talk about the bacon. I have never seen anyone smoke bacon to eat like that I have done a few differant kinds of bacon from buckboard, canadian and even bellie bacon but we/I smoked them for the flavor. You did smoke this bacon for eating now right???

Yeah, go ahead & tease me with the monster smoker that scares the wood. Go ahead & rub TBS in my face from the beast. Flaunt that bacon qview in my face.

I LOVE IT!!!!
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

Love the pics but check that link in my sig for qview posting. We want to "Drool" heavily over your fantastic qview.

Thats an awesome looking smoker..Never seen one like that..Assume you built it...Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:PDT_Armataz_01 _37:

Thanks allot for all the positive feedback! Who can't resist bacon pr0n?

It's working very well so far, this is my first dabbling in the dark arts of smoking. Between my Mom being an awesome cook and my Dad being a chef, they were both an inspiration. Growing up on tasty smoked ribs, brisket and bratwurst will make you do some crazy things in life. As for the reasoning behind this adventure, I'd say it's a curiosity thing. I have the best butcher shop I've ever seen only a few blocks from my house and they can get just about anything I would ever need to fill my carnivorous urges. I wanted something that I could smoke quickly(three hours tops) and with a very small failure rate. They also had bacon wrapped pork rib-eyes for $1.75 each so I did kinda plan on just smoking this side pork as somewhat of a "calling card" of sorts. I have to say, that it worked. Those that tried it tonight are now aware that I am a self proclaimed "candy-man" because I bring the sweets!
biggrin.gif

Thanks, credit for all the hard work has to go to my friend that built it. This is MKII of what was his final for his welding degree. Luckily his instructor at his college let him build this one as a "side project" since the first edition actually counted as one of his welding classes. I'm grateful that he brought it to me to fill with delicious things and he's grateful that he's got someone to learn how to smoke with. He said he's going to make an account up here too, so you'll get to hear about all the blood, sweat and tears that went into making this project a reality.

The welcoming experience at this forum is unlike any online community that I have ever found. It's great! I like it here!

One question though, whats this about photobucket uploads? I am very familiar with the site and have used it for years. I'm not sure what I'm missing from your Qview tutorial though... Do I need to re-size my pictures down to 640x480? from other members posts I figured bigger picures are better and you loose a bit of image quality when you scale them that low. I can always adjust that and make them smaller if need be. It's not a problem. If that's not what you meant then please elaborate on what my post is missing.
icon_redface.gif

By the way, here is the Bacon Wrapped Pork Ribeye that I mentioned...
tongue.gif

*Edit - In case anyone was wondering, this was all done with charcoal and hickory... :D

Wow !
That's some GOOD lookin' stuff ya got there!
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

Real nice smoker your buddy built too---must have got a high mark in his final!

Thanks for showing,
Bearcarver

BTW: Pictures smaller than "640 X 480" are a little hard to see. Pictures bigger than "640 X 480" cause some people to have to scroll all the pictures & type on that page. The perfect size for all seems to be "640 X 480".

Thanks for all the compliments on the smoker I built. Not so much sweat and tears but thanks to all that expanded steel enough blood went into making that thing to make up for the other 2. Just popping in to say hello and say that the maple cured bacon transformed from bacon to candy bars after 3 hours in the smoke.

AWESOME,,,,I am new to this I can see how quickly this smoking thing can turn into an obsession. Add smoked bacon to the list as things to try...Great job on the smoker....I hope you remember to take a few samples to your butcher....neighbors,,,wingrider1,,,lol..

Thanks again, pictures have been resized for your drooling pleasure.
icon_wink.gif

Personally I think 1024x768 is about the perfect size for pictures on the web. Then again not everyone has a 22" monitor, especially those rascally iPhone users...
icon_redface.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky