Tanks for smoker, where to find them???

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

nwbhoss

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Dec 11, 2009
Arlington Washington
I am in the process of finding parts to build a couple wood smokers and I am not having any luck finding tanks to use. I am looking in the 150 to 200 gallon range for a trailer mounted smoker. Can any of you shed some light on good places to look to find tanks????

I agree, check with a propane company.

Around here they keep all the ones they call "condemed" ( can no longer be used) at a separate yard and they sell them to folks like us.

Last one I bought was a 200 gallon, and if memory serves me right I paid around $50

Good Luck

I did try one local propane place and they laughed at me. I will keep looking and thanks for the info!!!
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Yeah my local propane guy said they are not allowed to re-sell condemned tanks. I think it is a safety issue with the government.

He actually suggested that I just steal one off of him as the yard is not locked at night. Sadly I am not a thief. In my province it appears that once they are turned in for demolition they cannot be resold.

They are going to be purged and turned into scrap, then environmentally unfriendly energy will be spent to re-melt them for the re claimed metal.

However If I turn it into a useful smoker with just a little welding and cutting isn't that a better method of re-cycling the material?

I ran into the same thing at the dump last summer, some guy was throwing out 50 4x8foot sheets of 1/2 inch plywood. ( They cost $21.00 each at the local hardware store ) Most of them just had a few nail holes in them and were painted. They were busy throwing them into a giant chipper. I could have used them and offered $5.00 apiece for them. The attendant said He was sorry but nothing was allowed to be scrounged or sold from the thrown out waste pile the wood would be recycled as compost. What a giant waste. $20 worth of wood going to make 50 cents worth of compost.
PDT_Armataz_01_04.gif

Rules / Laws must differ in each state.

If you ever head down the Texas way give me a heads up and I will grab one for you.

The companies around here know there is decent money to be made selling them to BBQ folks

Reactions: grillkid
junkyards, try looking for old air compessor tanks. I found 1, when they found out what I was doing, they made 1 themselves.

Not sure about where in Wa. you are but I just helped a buddy of mine go pick up a 250g tank from Ferralgas... He said he had to talk to the local plant manager and not the underpaid lackeys that work the phone. Only thing we had to do before he would let it leave his yard is pull the fill valves and destroy the threads rendering it "inopperable" in his terms.

The laws must be differant cause in Fla you can buy old used tanks. There's a propane dealer just down the road from me that lets you buy old tanks. I have heard for about 30-40 bucks you can get a big 250-300 gal tank.

I would put an ad on craigslist under the farm items and the items wanted section. If your anywhere close to a rural area, you would be surprised how many farmers have old tanks laying around. Just tell them your looking for old junk tanks, I bet you will get a response.

Reactions: JC in GB
Thanks for all the good info!!!!!!!!
I will try and call around and get some answers as far as the legal stuff goes and continue looking.

Dave the Bombers forum is a great idea!!!
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

If you're in an agriculturally based area, you may be able to find a small anhydrous tank to use. They are one notch better than propane tanks because they don't have to be steamed before you cut on them. (If you do find one, still have it sniffed to make sure it wasn't used for something else prior to being discarded.)

This is a bit bigger than a 150 gallon, but here is a pic of the one my brother built using an anhydrous tank:

379417210.jpg

Good luck in your quest!

I don't have much experience smoking but I do have some with acquiring tanks. I would suggest driving into rural areas where people have some acreage. Lots of times people tend to accumulate stuff-like tanks, rather than deal with cleaning up property. Also your local air compressor dealer will have a handle on used ones if you don't go the propane route. Farm shops are another good source to scout. I actually enjoyed riding around on Saturdays keeping an eye out for tanks.

Nice smoker, but that table is bit overkill for a beer holder isn't it LOL.

Yes, that is true
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

You said that smoker is one your brother built? He a member here? If not, get him to sign up. Would love to see more pics of that smoker he has, not to mention if he has any pics of the building process.

Dirt guy you must be feeding the whole Oklahoma sooners and the Oklahoma st cowboys football teams. lol. thats a nice big cooker.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky