Tampa smokers -- $1.89/lb brisket

Discussion in 'Messages for All Guests and Members' started by dougbennett, Aug 6, 2008.

1. dougbennett

dougbennett Smoke Blower

Wow. Beef brisket for $1.89/lb -- if you liev near Plant City, FL

Can't beat that. I've been scared to try a brisket due to the cost of possble screwing up a good piece of meat. But, for 1.89 I am SO trying it!

http://www.feltonsmarket.com/ad.pdf

2. solar

solar Smoking Fanatic SMF Premier Member

$1.89 is a good price, I got a brisket at the Wal Mart in Bradenton for $1.72 lb last week.

3. dougbennett

dougbennett Smoke Blower

Solar:

Any good advice on doing a brisket? How long per pound and at what temp do you smoke? What kind of ru do you use on brisket?

4. fatback joe

fatback joe Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Thanks for the heads up. I have bought many a brisket from Felton's and have been very satisfied.

Solar,

I could be wrong on this, but I believe those at Feltons are Choice grade and the ones at Walmart are Select........so the price is even better when you factor in the grade difference.

5. ron50

ron50 Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

NY
    First off great price. I was in Costco ttoday and they were charging $3.99/lb for a flat. No fat on it that I could see.

Here is some help on the brisket.

http://www.smoking-meat.com/brisket-smoke.html

Have to cook to temperature not time but a rule of thumb is about 1 - 1 1/2 hours per lb at 225 degrees.

Any rub will work. I like Jeff's but there are plenty of great rubs out thee or if you like it simple; cracked black pepper, garlic powder, onion powder and a little salt and sugar will work.

6. solar

solar Smoking Fanatic SMF Premier Member

Doug Bennett, the brisket I made was my first one, and even though it came out great, there's a ton of great tips from more seasoned guys in the "Beef" section. Lots of reading to do, and you'll learn about the "stall".

I rubbed mine with some modified store bought steak rub and smoked it at 225°, and as far as how long, just cook it until it reaches 170° then wrap in foil and finish at 195°.

You're probably right, I'm sure the meats that Wal-Mart sells aren't the best cuts. [​IMG] When I do my next brisket, I'm going to shop around a little more. Vlap recommended a good a meat market down here called Oneco's, I'll probably give them a try on my next meat purchase.