Taking the Plunge

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

alamar

Smoke Blower
Original poster
May 4, 2008
St. Clair Shores, MI
OK....gonna take the plunge this weekend. I purchased a Smoke Hollow No. 5 and will season it on Friday Evening. I have a digital meat thermo ready to go and want to do some 3-2-1 Ribs and a fatty on Saturday. I am planning on using Hickory an Cherry to smoke the delictables but here is where I need some help.

I have no problems doing the rub and prepping the fatty but what ratio of Hickory to Cherry would you recommend?

Should the fatty go on for the same duration of time the ribs are on or should this go on before/after?

Should the Temp Probe go into the Fatty and if so what temp should I be looking for.

You guys are great and I really fear you have awoken a smoking monster here.

depending when you want the fatty to be done it'll take approx 2 hrs .... probe the fatty and cook till and internal of 160 * ... you'll have to put it in later than the ribs if you want em done at the same time .... as for the wood try 1/2 n 1/2 for your first try then try summin diff next time ...my .02 worth .Good luck with your smoke .

Great. For the Ribs this is what I am looking to achieve. This is from a buddy who did some Beef Ribs. I plan on Pig-Sicles but this is the goal.
77b5c3fe_vbattach18062.jpg

Not a bad lookin' dino-rib there. Fatty will be done first, obviously. Make great snacks before the meal!

Cherry's gonna give you a sweet smoke flavor, hickory will balance that. I like straight hickory on ribs, with a touch of fruitwood, usually apple... but the cherry is similar. Cherry straight on fish is awesome!

Go WINGS!

Hickory gives the best flavor on ribs that I've found. I mix it with cherry sometimes for something different.
Hope this will help.

Jason

As Richtee said, the fatty makes a terrific snack. I usually start the fatties at the same time as my main meat and start slicing them up when they hit 160. They never last until the ribs are done. I also recommend that you do at least 2 fatties. I always throw on at least 3.

You guys are something special. Great feedback and very quick. I am going to try one fatty with regular Pork Sausage and then another with mild italian sausage. Any ideas for the stuffins?

Go Wings

I also like the hickory on ribs. Keep in mind there is no right or wrong, it's what tastes best to you. Be creative with the fatty, stuff it with whatever you want. Good luck.

As smokin said, i like hickory but ... it all tastes good, just depends on your own personal taste.

Fattys are kinda like a blank canvas ..... The two i've done were an italian sausage with pepperjack, can of geen chillis and chopped garlic. Another was made with ground chuck stuffed with blue cheese, bacon and chipotles. Whatever you think sounds good ......

Like shawn i put mine on when i start everything else ..... will be done in 3 hours or somewhere around there ........ cook to 160 - 165. Take off..... slice ...... eat !!!!!!!!!!!
biggrin.gif

OK. I have the riba all rubbed and am working on the fatties. Gonna do up a few ABT's also. Q-view to follow but a uestion first. I am going to use a rib rack, should I put the ribs on the rack bone end up or down?

OK Here is the Q-View.

The first is the ribs rubbed. Cut them to fit into the rib rack. Ended up with 6 slabs this size. Next time I will do the St. Louis style trim.

The second is the fatty. It is made with Bob Evans Itialian Sausage with mushrooms garlic and mozzerella cheese. I made a second with regular sausage, pepperoni, mushrooms, onion and pepperjack cheese.

Last is the ABT's stuffed with pepperoni, onion, garlic, mushrooms and onion-chive cream cheese.

This is the virgin run...Will post progress shots as I get them available.
e4714859_vbattach18078.jpg

4314aef1_vbattach18079.jpg

da73a46c_vbattach18077.jpg

OK. The first one is in the books. I am very happy with the results.

The Fatties turned out great. Nice smoke ring and great flavor. I may have left them in just a little too long but you have to make a mistake to learn.

The ABT's I put on the last half hour and tossed in a little cherry to smoke them. Yummy.

The pig sickles.....what can I say. If this is the worst I ever make, I cant wait for the next session.

Thanks to all of you for your help. You now have a new Smokin Brother...

Al
9bddd022_vbattach18089.jpg

9e5e4ecf_vbattach18090.jpg

e1457d8a_vbattach18088.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky