Swamp Rabbit and Wild Oyster Mushroom Sauce Piquant

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

indaswamp

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
Apr 27, 2017
South Louisiana-Yes, it is HOT
A Cajun Classic! I have been eating this recipe since I was a kid tagging along on rabbit hunts with a BB gun @ my grandfather's hunting camp.

We had a good hunt last Saturday...
20180203_125929_001 (2).jpg

Took my little nephew on his first rabbit hunt. He's still too small to shoulder the gun fast, but he did kill some nutrias.

Wild Oyster Mushrooms grow abundantly here on dead willow...
file.jpg
These were growing right behind the camp. We picked quite a few..

file.jpg

file.jpg

3 species-browns, whites, and goldens....all edible. The whites are the most fragrant and delicate. I love 'em all!

Tonight, I'm making a big stew. The classic rabbit sauce piquant.

First-frying the rabbit in bacon fat. The bacon is home made by my buddy. 6 rabbits quartered and fried....

DSC02512.JPG

Then in the same pot, got the veggies braised down to release the drippings then added the wine to reduce...

DSC02511.JPG

Add the rabbit back in along with stock and roux, let it simmer till the rabbit is tender. Made a big pot @ the firehouse and the guys from the hunt are coming eat....

Last edited:
Man that is awesome!

Great pics and write up. I need to make some something like that, I LOVE cajun and creole food!

"Snikey's" that looks sooo darn good. You all know how to cook a rabbit for sure. Maybe next year, I can come down pay a visit, bag a few rabbit for you and eat some too?

4 swamp rabbits cleaned and quartered
cajun seasoning mix
1/2 cup bacon drippings
2 bay leaves
1 bottle Burgundy wine
4 super Lg. white or yellow onions 1/4" dice
2 medium bell peppers 1/4" dice
1/2 cup minced garlic
1/2 bunch celery 1/4" dice
4~6 cups sliced mushrooms
(2-4) 16oz. cans Ro-tel tomatoes (original with green chillies) -as much heat as you like this is a spicy dish so kick it up!!
diced pickled jalapenos to taste
(1) 20oz. or ~ (1/2) a 2 liter bottle 7-up or Sprite
2-3 cups dark brown roux
1 cup thinly sliced green onion tops
Zest from 1/2 a lemon...finely diced (1/16")
juice of 1 lemon
salt, black and red pepper to taste

To cook:
In a 4 gallon black iron pot, heat bacon drippings on med. high heat. season rabbit liberally with cajun seasoning. Add rabbit to pot in batches and fry. Cook until outside of meat browns and starts to stick. Pull rabbit pieces from pot and set aside. Add bay leaves, white onions and cook until they turn clear, stirring and scraping bottom of pot to keep dripping from scorching. When onions are clear, add bell peppers, garlic, celery and stewed tomatoes. Cook additional 20 minutes, then deglaze pot with burgundy wine scrape bottom of pot to release drippings. Add rabbit back to pot. Reduce wine to 1/2 volume and add ro-tel tomatoes, mushrooms and slowly pour in 7-up...being careful as the carbonation will bubble up -stir constantly until all is incorporated (the carbonic acid helps to tenderize the meat ). Once bubbles settle, add lemon zest bring to a boil. Add roux and stir in...cook for 30 minutes then reduce heat to simmer, keep stirring occasionally and scrap the bottom-do not let burn! Add water as needed to retain volume. Cook for 2 1/2~3 hours until meat is fork tender. Meat is tender when leg bone is easy to move. Add green onions, check salt and pepper add as needed, simmer 20 minutes and serve over hot white rice with a good bottle of Amarone wine and hot french bread.

Last edited:
Reactions: chilerelleno
Man that is awesome!

Great pics and write up. I need to make some something like that, I LOVE cajun and creole food!

Thanks tallbm,
You can make this recipe with both chicken or venison...really just about anything. Substitute 6lbs. of chicken leg quarters or 4lbs. venison stew meat. This is as authentic Cajun as you can get from a hunting camp in the bayou swamps of south Louisiana...

"Snikey's" that looks sooo darn good. You all know how to cook a rabbit for sure.
Thanks. I can't take credit for this recipe, It's been a camp recipe @ my grandfather's hunting camp for a long, long time...since the club was started back in 1943. And it is a good one.

That looks fantastic!
Thanks for posting the recipe!
Congrats for getting a ride on the carousel!
Al

Looks like a great bowl of soup and a fun time.

Point for sure.

Chris

That looks pretty fantastic. Makes me miss rabbit hunting. I like how everyone in the group photo is smiling except for the one guy. Did he not get to shoot any rabbits?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky