SV-Q Big Beefy Ribs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

troutman

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Aug 14, 2017
Houston, Texas
I have never tried beef shorties sous vide but was looking to experiment with this cut of beef hoping for the advantages sous vide gives to other beef cuts. But instead of multiple experiments with a rather expensive cut of meat, I took a plate, divided it in half and thought about doing a couple of differing temperatures at varying times. On a whim I checked the old interweb and found that our friends at ChefSteps had already done the work for me.

ChefSteps.jpg

Not to go through the entire details of what they discovered at varying temperatures versus time (here is the link if interested, beef short ribs) , I chose the 144* route after thinking I would prefer the 130* option better. At 144* in 48 hours they achieved a steak-like texture that still had a 'to the tooth' bite, but also had the beginnings of some soft shredding. That appealed to my palette.

I decided then to just go ahead and do both halves at that 144/48 option. So into the bath they went......

ribs bath.jpg

.....at 48 hours I immediately removed and chilled them in an ice bath for about 10 minutes. It was a Wednesday evening and I knew I had a brisket cook planned for the weekend so I decided to refrigerate them in their shrink wrapped bags until that time. I pulled them out of the frig on Saturday, unbagged them and re-applied my seasoning....

refrg ribs.jpg

smoke ready ribs.jpg

...as I mentioned I had a brisket cook going in my WSM at about 250-275* and toward the end of the cook I slapped the ribs on with it. I smoked them to about 150* IT, it took about an hour or so to get them up to temperature. I must admit they came out beautifully. Tender yet steak like (as ChefSteps had described) and still full of juiciness......

smoked ribs.jpg

ribs cut open.jpg

Bottom line I'm sold on sous vide-que for shorties. Many smoking purists will argue against not having the depth of smokiness that an all day cook gives you but I really thought there was plenty of bark (as you can see) and smokiness from the post smoke. The advantage is the ability to control precisely the outcome of the initial cook with the smoke finish being the only variable. As you can see the internal finish was consistent from bark to bone. My next experiment will be to drop the temp to the 133* range to go for a medium rare, steak like finish that is next to impossible to do with any degree of tenderness on a smoker. Should be interesting.

KEEP THAT BATH WATER CIRCULATING AND YOUR SMOKE BLUE ..... TROUTMAN OUT !!!

Looking good, troutman!
I think I’d go with the lower temps too, and frankly, I think 24 hrs would be plenty. That would give more time for the smoker to do its thing...
I haven’t tried short ribs yet in the Sous Vide, but I have a couple of packages of the “cut” ones stashed for the weather to get better. The only 4 bone plate like that I’ve done was $30 here and had to be special ordered.

WOW, they sure look fantastic!
I haven't done beef ribs SV/smoke style yet.
But my process has always been to smoke the meat first, then SV it, and finally either torch (which I like the best) or sear in a CI pan or on a hot grill.
Anyhow, congrats on making the carousel!
Al

The look great and if you can achieve med-rare and tender next time then I think you have reach nirvana.

You didn't mention it, but looks like you seared, per SV? Does this method give you enough juice for Au Jus?

That's all good..
Nice looking finished ribs.
What was all the seasoning and stuff in the bag with the meat?

The "stuff" as you say is the purge (which you see in the adjacent measuring cup). It's simply the juices, fat and albumen that comes from a long cook. When you process that purge you get liquid gold that you can pour back on the meat or makes a great base for a killer sauce.

The look great and if you can achieve med-rare and tender next time then I think you have reach nirvana.

You didn't mention it, but looks like you seared, per SV? Does this method give you enough juice for Au Jus?

The purge is in the adjacent measuring cup as I mentioned above. I did not pre-sear or do anything to the ribs, just seasoned, bagged them and put them in the bath. I smoked them for about 60-70 minutes on my WSM afterwords to get the bark and smokiness you see in the final product.

I use my own, I call it my Big Bold Beef Rub (BBBR). Here it is if interested;

Black Pepper
Granulated Garlic Powder
Granulated Onion Powder
Granulated White Sugar
Mustard Powder
Cayenne Pepper
Ancho Chili Powder
Chipotle Powder
Smoked Paprika

I always pre-salt (dry OR wet brine) my meat so it's a saltless seasoning.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky