Super Bowl Butt

Discussion in 'Pork' started by thirt8spl, Feb 7, 2010.

1. thirt8spl

thirt8spl Fire Starter

I tried my first bone in shoulder last night in preperation for todays game. 8.13 pounder, rubbed with a local rub called JD's Fat Boy. It is a nice rub with a little heat to it.

In the MES at 7:00 PM last night, set at 225. I used hickory with the occasional lump of Royal Oak to see if I could get a smoke ring although it really doesn't matter to me - tastes great anyway. It took until 1 AM to get to 165, I then put it in the catch pan and foiled tightly. I set the MES for 205 and went to sleep.

Up at 7:30 this morning and this is what I find:

Look at that juice! I am cooling the juice to defat and save the drippings for flavor. The meat is in a crock pot on low with the finishing sauce lovingly poured over it.

I wouldn't call this pulled pork as I didn't have to pull a thing! Didn't even get a chance to use my new Bear Claws. It has a great flavor and will be awesome later today. Well - off to make Dutch's Beans. I don't care who wins the game - I know my stomach will be challenged though....LOL

2. jaxgatorz

jaxgatorz Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Great job !! [​IMG]

3. big daddy

big daddy Newbie

Game what Game? Can't wait to eat!

4. thirt8spl

thirt8spl Fire Starter

The drippings have been de-fatted and added to the crock pot. WOW - does the finishing sauce add a nice flavor to whole project - won't do another without it.

Big Daddy - I think you need to post your info in Roll Call - and the beans are in the smoker now!

5. mballi3011

mballi3011 Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Man your butt looks so good there Thirt. I really like that rub too. O got mine from Jay "The Dude" and now he says he cann't find it anymore. Have you tried the Gates rub it's really good on pork too,

6. thirt8spl

thirt8spl Fire Starter

I have not tried the Gates yet. I did make a batch of knock-off Gates Sauce for those that think they need it.

I can find the Fat Boy rub in my local Hy-Vee. I will definitely get some more! They do have a website if you need to order that way - jbsfatboy dot com

7. ronp

ronp Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Picture perfect.[​IMG]

8. rdknb

rdknb Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

that look good what time do we eat lol

9. beer-b-q

beer-b-q Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Nice Butt...[​IMG]