Sunday Pork Butts

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mneeley490

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jun 23, 2011
Everett, WA
Trying Jeff's 5-Hour, 300° method again. I'm convinced that he has a smaller butt than mine. And a smaller pork butt, too.

I'm doing 2, both are nearly identical 9+ lbs, bone-in; that's the usual size I find around here. One has Jeff's rub, and for the other one I'm trying a commercial rub called, "EAT Barbecue-- The Most Powerful Stuff-- Purposeful Rub". Not sure what all's in it, but it sounded good. Injected each with a mixture of apple juice, apple cider vinegar, and rub.
Also saw someone else doing some beans today, so that sounded good, too.
Jeff's is on the right. These are now on my GMG Daniel Boone, running with a 50/50 mixture of Lumberjack Apple-blend, and Hickory-Char.
20200119_091956.jpg

20200119_133929.jpg

Well, at the 5 hour mark, one is at 138° IT, and the other is at 153°. This is even after I swapped them around, trying to even out the IT. Spritzing with more apple juice & apple vinegar. We'll see how it goes.
20200119_135006.jpg

5 hours does seem optimistic but:

1) you injected yours
2) you included 2 roasts and a pan of beans in your smoker. Takes longer for your thermal mass to heat.
3) you opened the lid, more than once, to rotate, spritz, etc.

All of those factors would negativity impact your cooking times.

Dang, that looks good!
My new LSG pellet smoker gets the build started tomorrow. Can't wait 'til it gets here so I can smoke something.

Last edited:
Looks great Mike. That should hold ya for a spell.

Point for sure
Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky