Summer sausage stuffing question.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ak1

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Feb 23, 2010
Stoney Creek, Ontario, Canada
So, most posts I read say to let the meat rest for a day or so after grinding and seasoning before stuffing & cooking.

What I'm wondering is if would be OK to stuff into muslin & then let it rest before cooking.

So, most posts I read say to let the meat rest for a day or so after grinding and seasoning before stuffing & cooking.

What I'm wondering is if would be OK to stuff into muslin & then let it rest before cooking.
I find it easier to stuff right after mixing,it cures the same as long as it was mixed properly 

Richie

Reactions: ak1
That's how we do it too.  It seems easier to make one mess all in one day. The cure works just as well in the casings as it does in a pile of meat.

Day two is a lot easier too.  

Drink a beer, watch the smoker.... :)

I stuff the next day.

If its to stiff, I add a little water.

That's a beautiful sight AK. It seems there are two ways to finish summer sausage are you going to cook to what internal temperature? or cold smoke these babies. 

That is what I do unless I am adding ingredients like olives, cheese, etc. if addin fresh ingredients I let it rest overnight then add those ingredients and stuff.

I buy them. Local butcher sells them. 2 bucks a pop. 

I don't use a lot every year to make it worth making my own. I'd have to buy a sewing machine, the fabric....

Last edited:
popcorn.gif
popcorn.gif
popcorn.gif
th_anim_burp.gif
  Yep I'm in

DS

Stainless steel. I got them at a local place called Princess Auto. I grabbed em about three yrs ago on sale for a buck a piece. Bought 8, that's all they had in stock. They were the small ones.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky