Summer sausage STRONG smell?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Drayken

Original poster
Jan 18, 2019
Question about summer sausage and the smell. I just got a meat grinder (#12), and thawed out a brisket flat and a pork butt. First attempt at any kind of sausage. (compared to others, I used alot of salt, but it didn't come out salty at all) anyways, I am thrilled with the taste. Would maybe like a lil more pepper or heat. But it resembles what I've had in past, so I'm happy. BUT, it smells! The smell takes over the fridge for sure! I mean, it smells like "summer sausage", but REALLY strong! I thought it would also taste gamey, but nope, it is very mild. Any ideas? Or does summer sausage just always have a strong smell? Could it be the brisket meat? Here's the ingredients I used for 10lbs. Smoked 8 hrs. 130 for 2, then 10 degrees per hour, till 170, then maintained.

100 grams of kosher salt, or 10tbs of diamond crystal kosher salt)
2 tsp (teaspoon) of cure salt #1
1 Cup instant nonfat dry milk
2 cups of water. Mixed.

2 Tbs course pepper
2 Tbs garlic powder
2 Tbs paprika
4 Tbs whole mustard seed

Attachments

• 20210102_073740-01.jpeg
    20210102_073740-01.jpeg
    115.6 KB · Views: 24
  • 20201231_233419.jpg
    20201231_233419.jpg
    158.5 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
awful nice product for your first go, No smoke? I guess thats not the smell.

Your salt content is not real high, I'd have used 2% max and that would be 91 grams

Last edited:
awful nice product for your first go, No smoke? I guess thats not the smell.

Your salt content is not real high, I'd have used 2% max and that would be 91 grams

Thanks! Ya, I am excited how well it came out. But no, it's not the "smoke" smell I get from when I do ribs, pork butt, or brisket. It's a strong "meat" smell. Not bad, it's what I think summer sausage would smell like, just REALLY strong!

Picture looks great. Salt is a little high for me, 2.25% ish at 100grams, but you listed 10 Tbs also. Kosher salt is very bulky and does not measure well by volume. If you used Tbs for measuring, your probably closer to 2.0% salt or even less. Always weigh your salt and sugar. Kosher salt vs canning pickling salt measures very differently in volume. Always weigh.

Looks great! AWESOME job for your first! I am relatively new to sausage compared to others here but I would agree with you that our homemade stuff is stronger flavored/smelling compared to store bought. I think this is mostly due to spice quantities. That said, the intensity does mellow a bit with age as the smoke, spices, and meat marry. I like to vac seal right away and crash cool to keep all that goodness. Then I wait at least a week to sample.

I agree with the others and am definitely in the weight camp. Grab a $10 gram scale and you'll never look back!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky