• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Summer Sausage - Smoker Temps and Food Safety

ebbtide3673

Joined Aug 28, 2020
Hello! I've made summer sausage a dozen or so time, so have some experience but still very much a newbie.

Started smoking a batch tonight and have been having some issues with the temps in my smoker. Started the smoke at 120 at 6:30ish and bumped to 150 around 7:30. When I did, I noticed a difference in the temps at the top of the smoker with the left side being 10-15 degrees lower than the right side. (And checked multiple times using the same thermometer on each side.) Since this is a cedar smoker, I'm guessing the issue could be caused by a number of things, including air leaking in.

After checking and confirming the accuracy of the thermometers, I've noticed that the temp below the sausages seems to be hovering around 130-144 while the temp above the sausages is hitting 150-152. Given the setup, this may be totally expected. (Since heat rises. :) ) My big concern is around the safety of the food, especially given that the temps lower in the chamber seem to be a bit lower than what I'm aiming for.

So, my questions: Should I be concerned about the safety of the meat? If not, is there a point I should be concerned OR, as long as I let it go low and slow (Bumping to 170 in 2 hours) will it be ok?

I used the Walton's H Summer Sausage seasoning which does utilize Cure #1.
Smoker setup - offset firebox that produces the smoke and 2x20 amp heating elements controlled by a thermostat (Thermocouple sitting at the top of the smoker by the top of the sausages.)

Attachments

SmokinEdge

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jan 18, 2020
With cure #1, there are no worries. Try evening out those temps and/or rotate the sausages during the cook. You are fine just get the IT around 150*

Brokenhandle

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Nov 9, 2019
Yes, what Edge said! Nice looking batch you have going there!

Ryan

Wurstmeister

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Mar 21, 2018
Beautiful looking wurst and I like the smoker set up you have. I make sausage all year long here in SC and use Cure#1 all the time. Not a huge fan of fresh sausage in our hot/humid climate Plus, I always worry about how the folks I give the sausage to handle it. 🍻
John

ebbtide3673

Joined Aug 28, 2020
Beautiful looking wurst and I like the smoker set up you have. I make sausage all year long here in SC and use Cure#1 all the time. Not a huge fan of fresh sausage in our hot/humid climate Plus, I always worry about how the folks I give the sausage to handle it. 🍻
John
Thank you, John! 🍻

ebbtide3673

Joined Aug 28, 2020
Ended up going for ~ 17 hours. At ~16 hours, I checked them and about 2/3rds were still in the 140 range. (Several at the low end). I put them back in the smoker for another hour. ITs seemed to hold about where they had been when I checked, but based on the pasteurization table seems like they should be good to go, correct?

Found it referenced here where there was a link to this blog here. https://archeryrob.wordpress.com/20...perature-for-summer-sausage-and-snack-sticks/

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.