Summer sausage fail

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chewmeister

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Aug 28, 2013
Eastern PA
Not sure what went wrong here. Made a batch of summer sausage last weekend with same recipe I've used before except decided to ferment the sausage rather than use Fermento. Used the recommended amount of FL-C and fermented for 24 hours in 85% humidity at 86 degrees. All looked fine, so into the smoker they went. 130 degrees for an hour and then gradually raised temp to 170. Smoked for 12 hours to IT of 150. Problem is the sausage started to render the fat and although the taste is excellent, they are a little dry and somewhat shrunken. Same method of smoking as I always have, but never had them shrink and dry out. Any thoughts?

Sounds like a thermometer issue to me. Might have been higher then the 170° it was reading. Well that's my guess.

If it's an electric like the MES it can fluctuate above the set point a little bit. I'm definitely looking at the thermometer and temps on this one. Use a high set point of 155 max. You can still cook them safe at longer times and lower finishing temps. Got any pics?

I am using an electric smoker with a PID. Temps have been spot on in the past. I'll recheck to see if something is out of whack.

PID controllers can sometimes need infrequent reautotuning but that still shouldn't be a larger over shoot for you. although it's still a couple degrees usually. Maybe just the set temp itself was too high? I usually don't set the smoker above 160 when doing sausages. I just hold them at temp alittle longer to be sure of safety. Good luck!

My PID has dual probes, one for cabinet temp and one for meat temp. When not inserted into meat, they both read the same. I've verified meat probe temp with my instant read and always spot on. Next time I'll reduce cook temp and see if that helps.

Yes, cooled down after smoking. They had already pulled away from the casings by then.

Yes, cooled down after smoking. They had already pulled away from the casings by then.
Well I'm just stumped 
help.gif

All this time spending talking could be time spend making more 
police2.gif

Well I'm just stumped 
help.gif

All this time spending talking could be time spend making more 
police2.gif
 Sounds almost like a loss of too much moisture may have caused the shrinkage. I would say go back to using the fermento or use some non-fat dry milk in the mix. That will retain the moisture and binding capabilities. I use either of them in mine and haven't had any issues except when I didn't do the ice bath.

Maybe don't need to go to 150 IT? My original recipe called for 150 IT, however this one after fermentation called for 140 IT. Want to be safe.

Well I will report back to you how my SS comes out with FLC this weekend then. I've got 10 lbs of meat chopped and curing in the fridge. Planning on stuffing and hanging to ferment tonight and then smoke in 24-48 hours. Hopefully better results but we'll see.
Let me know how it comes out and what temps you smoke it at. 24-48 hours is a long smoke.

Last edited:
I sure will. The smoke won't be that long...the ferment will. Planning a 24 hour ferment them a smoke the night after after for about 8 hours.
Will they get up to IT in 8 hours? Mine took 12 hours and seemed like the smoker temp may have been too high.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky