Summer sausage : different meats = different tastes.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Drayken

Original poster
Jan 18, 2019
I know many people use venison. Sadly, I'm not a hunter. I'm making summer sausage. My first batch was brisket flat and pork butt. Loved the taste. But brisket flat is too expensive, and I've read alot of brisket fat is not as good as the fat from pork butt, so even whole packer brisket costs alot once fat is gone. My question, do you think something like London broil would give similar taste profile, or be totally different? (I can get London broil BOGO price, often. It's very lean, I use it for my beef jerky all the time, so I'd use even more pork butt fat, driving the cost even lower.

If I try a whole packer brisket, would I grind the HARD fat too?

Last edited:
personally i don't think you'll see much of a difference if any at all, just add more fat like you mentioned. you'll never know if you try it. also if chuck roast ever go on sale they would probably work good also.

Just grind some chuck roast. If your getting off taste and smells then there is a problem somewhere?

Agree with the others you won't notice. LB and butt SS sounds like a winner to me.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky