Summer Sausage -Curley's Kit

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

woodcutter

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jul 2, 2012
Marathon Wisconsin
I have been working on this Summer Sausage off and on for almost a week. I started out with 3 chuck rolls about 25lbs each. One I cut into chuck roasts and a few chuck steaks. 40 lbs was used for sausage. The price of beef is going crazy so I bought the primal cuts. Also picked up a case of pork butts for this summer sausage and formed bacon which is next. Here are a few pictures.

One of the chuck rolls.

Fat

I coarse ground the chuck and pork and mixed the summer sausage kit, 1lb extra mustard seed, 8 cups of nonfat powdered milk and 1 cup of water to a 50lb batch.

Here is the fine ground batch and where I made a mistake by adding the mustard seeds. I wanted them whole in the sausage when you slice and couldn't see them any more after grinding. I should have added them when I added the cheese before stuffing.

Clear fibrous casings soaking in water.

I divided everything into 4 small batches and added heat restrained cheddar cheese.

After mixing the mustard seeds showed up! They made it through the grinder plate whole.

This was my grandpa's stuffer and when I got it this home made handle came along with it. The other day I compared it to the original and it is 2 1/2" longer than the original. It equates to a lot more power than the original.

I used and old drip pan to keep the chub level and sliding while stuffing. The chubs look like they are "corn fed"....lol

Hanging to dry before the smoker.

Here is 8 hours into the smoke. The smoker temp was 156 and the chubs were 134. I used apple pellets in the AMNPS and black cherry hunks in the chip pan. It took 14 hours in the smoker to finally get the IT to 152.

Here they are after an ice water bath to stop the cooking. Blooming.

They turned out very good! Texture is moist and not rubbery. Casing peels off like it should and there is no hard meat under the casing.

Thanks for looking!

Reactions: disco
Great tutorial!  From here it looks like you nailed it! Beautiful summer sausage.  I like the idea of the primal chuckies to save some dough. 

Brian

Thats some nice looking summer sausage Todd. You nailed it for sure.... Thats a desk top background setter IMHO..... Try adding some whole peppercorns in a few chubs next time to give it a peppery kick.. It goes well with summer sausage....

Nice job

This is on my to do list and I really appreciate this post. Thanks.

Disco
Thanks Disco!

Great tutorial!  From here it looks like you nailed it! Beautiful summer sausage.  I like the idea of the primal chuckies to save some dough. 

Brian
Thanks Brian, I got the chuck rolls for $2.70 lb. At Sam's chuck roasts were $4.48 lb. They did not even have there tubes of ground beef.
Looks great Todd! Guess I'm gonna have to man up and get my Old Enterprise stuffer out and push some meat through it!!
I like this stuffer for its brute force. But it takes brute force to catty it around.

The sausage looks like it came out fantastic but I am REALLY loving your grandpa's stuffer!
Thank you!
Thats some nice looking summer sausage Todd. You nailed it for sure.... Thats a desk top background setter IMHO..... Try adding some whole peppercorns in a few chubs next time to give it a peppery kick.. It goes well with summer sausage....

Nice job
Thanks Joe, I like the whole pepper corns as well but I had my grandsons in mind while making these so it was cheese instead. I had plenty of mustard.
Looks real good Todd!
smile.gif
Thank you Martin!

Just a fantastic job!!!! Great use of the whole chuck roll.  Love the stuffer also.  Nice money shots as well.  Reinhard
I was following your lead with the NFPM and it worked out really well for me. Thanks!

Looks great Woodcutter.

That stuffer looks just like mine.

I am wanting to get into sausage, Will that stuffer work ok?

Looks great Woodcutter.

That stuffer looks just like mine.

I am wanting to get into sausage, Will that stuffer work ok?
I like the stuffer. I hear a lot of people complain about stuffing snack sticks and I don't even notice a problem.

Thanks, I will have to get her out to see what kind of shape it is in.  Havent used it for 15 years I bet.

You can see how they are perfectly cooked. I bet it tastes great. Just curious, did you grind, stuff, smoke in same day or was it a 2 day project as I would imagine?

Thanks for sharing.

Noshrimp

They look great, very nicely done!
Thank you!
You can see how they are perfectly cooked. I bet it tastes great. Just curious, did you grind, stuff, smoke in same day or was it a 2 day project as I would imagine?

Thanks for sharing.

Noshrimp
I wanted to mixed in the coarse grind and then wanted to fine grind and stuff the next day but it ended up taking me 3 days. (Because of my job)
Nice looking SS Todd... perfect from here!
Thanks Mikey!

Man, real nice job you did there.
Thanks Sam!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky