Suggestions on inexpensive wood smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mrad

Meat Mopper
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Sep 27, 2012
Princeton, MN
I am starting to look on Craigs list for used and inexpensive ($100-$200) wood fired smoker.

I currently have a Blazn Grill Works Grid Iron and a GMG Davey Crocket pellet grills. I will continue to use these 90% of the time but on occasions when I want a heavier smoke profile and a few hours open where I can babysit the stick burner. I may even start briskets on the woodburner and transfer to the pellet grill after 3-4 hours.

I had a Brinkman 4-5 years ago before I got my pellet grills. Wasn't happy with it. the grate would bend every time it was used because of the heat and weight of the wood/charcoal on it. It was also difficult to hold and maintain temps.

I know I wont be getting high quality, but an looking for another toy that is functional.

Any suggestions?

There is an Old Country offset smoker that retails for about $400, for sale right now for $200. That’s in New Orleans, but it’s just an example. I found my Lang on Craigslist. Just be patient and look daily, you will find something eventually.

In my opinion, your not going to be happy with a cheap offset. You will need to do a lot of mods to it, to get it right.
If you were me I would save up until I could afford at least a smoker made out of 1/4" steel. They are going to cost you more, but they will last a lifetime & you can pass it down to your kids. And they are much easier to use. My Lang will hold temps steady all day long without hardly any tinkering.
Al

Reactions: hillbillyrkstr
Yep, that is one of the original OK Joes!
You will get a lot of good years out of that smoker!
Al

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky