Suggestions for New Smoker Please

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

liquiddirt

Fire Starter
Original poster
Nov 11, 2006
Louisiana
Hello all,
I have been reading the boards and I am really interested in the Weber Smokey Mountain Grill. It just seems a little expensive for that type of smoker. Are there any other bullet type grills that would be comparable to the WSM? I currently own a charbroil offset grill but I run through charcoal like crazy and would sometimes like to leave the grill unattended for a period of time. On another note, I have a very old Mr. Meat Smoker from my grandfather which came with no paperwork. It is suppose to be either electric and/or charcoal but again, I have no paperwork and I am not really sure how to even use the grill. From what I have read I also believe I would run into some major temp swings with this older grill. Please let me know what you think and thank you in advance.

Goose

liquid dirt if you are like me, why don't you build one from scratch? I took an old refrig and converted it for penny's and it works great. The only problem I am having now is that it is too small.

I think I should add on to the house and make a smoking room ( I already got permission from the boss to make a processing room so why not a smoking room too)

LD ,I have a GOSM and it is ok except it is now too small and in the Wisconsin winters sometimes heat control is an issue but where you live you shouldnt have that issue.GOSM has a bigger model called a big block.I am building my own to get the size I want.If the refridge conversion interests you there are a lot that really like them.I have a email that was sent to me from a guy and if you have time to look at a lot of pics I can forward it to you it is very nice.It is a gas conversion but Cheeches elictric is a nice unit also.I guess it boils down to what you want to cook with.If I had time I would use a wood fired unit but since I dont it is propane for me.

Thank you both for your input. I have the extra fundage so I will be purchasing the Weber Smoker Mountain Grill. Out of every review I have read I have seen not one bad review on this grill. Thank you all and I will let you know how it goes :)

Goose

hi liguiddirt,
i am also new to all this ..i just got a cabelas 36" s.s. gas smoker.. i`ts great... there having a sale now maybe u might want to check out the 48" ...well any how good luck....

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky