Sugar Cane Smoked Turkey?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sickpuppy

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jul 17, 2005
Louisiana
Hey all,

Just heard about a new twist on smoking a turkey. (At least new to me.) A local restaurant and food guru says he uses sugar cane to smoke his turkey. He states that he brined it over night and then uses sugar cane instead of wood chips to smoke it.

Sounds like something I will have to try. It is the time of year that the sugar cane harvest is going on in south Louisiana. Have to take a ride down into the harvest area and see if I can get some of their discards. Also some of the local farmers markets are starting to reopen and they used to carry stalks of sugar can. Will have to be after Thanksgiving before I can give it a try.

Dan

Now that is an interesting idea Dan. Some of the larger markets will sell sugar cane stocks in the Produce section when in season. Would you dry the stocks out first or would you use them green?

Dutch,

You know, I donâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t know. I sent an e-mail to Tom Fitzmorris the local chef and food guru and asked him. As soon and if he answers I will post.

He has a morning food talk show on WWL radio and his web sit is: http://www.nomenu.com/

I would have to assume (and you know about assuming), it would have to be dried.

Dan

Dutch,

The answer to my e-mail:

Hello, Dan. . .

It's pretty green. I throw it right into the charcoal.

Tastefully yours,
Tom Fitzmorris

I guess if you use propane, as I do, you could just put it into your chip box or if you use wood just throw it on the wood fire.

Green makes it less trouble and easier to find.

Dan

Dan,

This does sound rather interesting to me, I will look forward to reading about your results. If I can find fresh sugar cane around here, I might be willing to give it a try.

Cheers,
Brian

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky