Stuffed Pork Loin (Apple)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Thanks Bear. Looking forward to seeing how the que mat wrap works for you.
I'm sure it will work---That's an Awesome Idea!!

I already got permission from my Dishwasher---She said the Q-Mats clean up easily.

Bear

The next day (Smoking):

4:30-----------------Meat IT ranged from 146* to 151* (Cut heat back to 100*)
5:00-----------------Pulled both Pieces. IT ranged from 149* to 153*.

@Bearcarver When you cut the heat back to 100° did you do this to get closer to dinner time, or was it something that needed done for the cook?

I am doing one tomorrow and was looking at yours to get a time average on the cook and noticed the step highlighted above about you reducing the temp.

@Bearcarver When you cut the heat back to 100° did you do this to get closer to dinner time, or was it something that needed done for the cook?

I am doing one tomorrow and was looking at yours to get a time average on the cook and noticed the step highlighted above about you reducing the temp.
Good Question!

That's something I came up with a couple years ago.

One reason is to stop cooking it.

Another is my way of holding it for a few minutes to a few hours, much like wrapping it in foil & then towels, and then putting it in a cooler.

The meat has no idea if you did it my way or put it in a cooler. Sometimes I even open the door a few times to get the Smoker Temp down to the Temp of the meat, because my MES40 takes a long time to cool down to meat temp, because it's insulated so good.

Bear

Last edited:
When everyone is doing this, are you letting the pork/meat sit in the counter before placing in the smoker to let it get to room temp?

When everyone is doing this, are you letting the pork/meat sit in the counter before placing in the smoker to let it get to room temp?
I personally never let anything come to room temp on the counter. Fridge to Smoker.

It can't get any smoke on my counter. I would rather let it spend that time in my smoker, at a low temp, with smoke floating by.

Bear

When everyone is doing this, are you letting the pork/meat sit in the counter before placing I. The sm
I personally never let anything come to room temp on the counter. Fridge to Smoker.

It can't get any smoke on my counter. I would rather let it spend that time in my smoker, at a low temp, with smoke floating by.

Bear

Thanks Bear.

I know this is an old thread and it may have been covered but...
When I filet my loins for stuffing and rolling I've found that "thirds" is about right...
Start about 1/3 of the wat down the loin and slice straight through to about an inch from the edge...
Fold the cut "flap" over and cut straight down the loin to about an inch from the bottom of the loin then slice straight back through the loin stopping about an inch from the edge of the loin...
Lay the meat out flat on a piece of plastic wrap and cover the top with plastic wrap and pound the loin flat with a meat mallet.
You can see how this one was filleted.

Real Nice Work, Joken & Johnny !!!
drool.gif
icon14.gif

Bear

Hi Bear,

Got one of your stuffed loins in the fridge and ready to put it on tomorrow. You sure do a nice of job of both cooking' and documenting'.
Got a question if you don't mind???
I notice from the picture of your MES that you don't have a catch pan under the loins - or at least it looks that way. I would imagine that with the "jelly" in the pie filling and the normal dripping from the pork, there would be a fair amount of liquid dripping down, How do you handle that? I guess you cover what's needed with tin foil and let the drips fall, collect them in the bottom tray or the drawer. Do you do anything with them or toss them with the tin foil? Thanks for your help!

Hi Bear,

Got one of your stuffed loins in the fridge and ready to put it on tomorrow. You sure do a nice of job of both cooking' and documenting'.
Got a question if you don't mind???
I notice from the picture of your MES that you don't have a catch pan under the loins - or at least it looks that way. I would imagine that with the "jelly" in the pie filling and the normal dripping from the pork, there would be a fair amount of liquid dripping down, How do you handle that? I guess you cover what's needed with tin foil and let the drips fall, collect them in the bottom tray or the drawer. Do you do anything with them or toss them with the tin foil? Thanks for your help!

Thanks BP !!
When I did these I just put them on the rack "Naked", but my empty, foil covered water pan was directly below, in position.
You could put a foil pan directly below on the next rack.

Or you could make them 11" long or less, and put them on a wire cooling rack, in a foil pan, like I do most of my 5 & 6 pound Prime Ribs. Then you could save the drippings & see what you got after smoking.

Bear

Thanks BP !!
When I did these I just put them on the rack "Naked", but my empty, foil covered water pan was directly below, in position.
You could put a foil pan directly below on the next rack.

Or you could make them 11" long or less, and put them on a wire cooling rack, in a foil pan, like I do most of my 5 & 6 pound Prime Ribs. Then you could save the drippings & see what you got after smoking.

Bear
Thank you, Bear for the reply!

I have a MES 30 and don't have the surface area that a 40 does. I've been a little concerned about heat flow (with an 800w element)) as well as smoke flow using a large catch pan. On this cook, I cut the pan down and used a wire rack somewhat similar to your suggestion. I'll be interested in how much drippings I get in both the catch pan and the bottom tray. If very little, I may go with just catching the drippings in the bottom pan and "drawer". I was just interested in your arrangement when I saw it as I hadn't considered a catch pan sitting on the very bottom.

Again, THANKS!
Backpacker

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky