Stuffed peppers question

Discussion in 'Fruit, Nuts & Vegetables' started by buddy, Jul 27, 2006.

1. buddy

buddy StickBurners

I have a couple questions about the ABT'S , that maybe someone could help me out with . First of all , are you supposed to blanch or boil them a little to soften them up before you put them on the smoker or does that happen while thier cooking. Also , where is the best place to cut them open for coring. Maybe slice it down the side? I saw the pics of the ones with the tops cut off . I'm going to try some this weekend with the spare ribs I'm going to smoke . It will be my first try at the ABT'S. Thanks for any advice.

2. cajunsmoker

cajunsmoker Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Hey Buddy,

Cut the top off and take the seeds and membranes out with a peeler/corer. I use a paint can opener from lowes :D

Don't blanch'em, just stuff'em with whatever you want inside, put a little piece of bacon on the top to keep stuff inside the pepper and smoke till you're ready to eat'em. About 1.5 to 2 hours gets them pretty well done. :D

Since you're from Texas, 8) I'll tell you if you want'em hot leave some seeds inside. Thats where all the heat is.

3. icemn62

icemn62 Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

Once again cajun gives the good advice. I cut the top of mine off, then open 1 side. scape with a spoon, to remove seeds and membranes for kids and wife. Fill with a sausage/cheese mix. Some times wrap with bacon, others just use toothpicks. Onto the grates for about 2 hours. let cool, eat em UP. Great snack food.

4. willkat98

willkat98 Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

Personally, I find stuffing them to be a PITA

Cut them length wise, deseed and demembrane, then pile on the cheese/fattie mixture, cover 1/2 strip bacon.

They're more like little "boats" than stuffed bullets

5. bob-bqn

bob-bqn Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

6. buddy

buddy StickBurners

Thanks for the information , that helps a bunch. I;m going to try these on
    Sunday and hopefully they turn out good . Those peppers of yours Bob
    looked pretty tasty.