Stubborn Butts!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

marty catka

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Nov 5, 2009
SE MI
My wife and I volunteered to make pulled pork for our bowling league banquet/payoff night. The owner loves PP, but his wife says she can never make it right. Cooks it low and slow at 300* for about 6-7 hours. Always comes out tough. So we volunteer, our donation. Everybody brings in something, this was ours.

I started prepping the butts on Friday evening, rinsing, applying rub and wrapping in plastic wrap.

We were going to eat on Sunday evening about 7:30, so I was trying to time my smoke in my MES accordingly. I figured on about a 16 hour cook time from previous experiences. I didn't want to stay up all night so I figured some time resting in foil and towels in a cooler would bridge some of the time. Might have to put in warm oven to carry over.

So I start the MES at around 4:30 to give it plenty of warm up time for a 6:00 pm start. Controller set at 230*.

I fed chips and small chunks to the wood miser every 45 minutes or so until the meat therms read 160 degrees. This was about 2 a.m. Then I went to bed.

I woke about 8:30 - 9:00 am and the therms read 182 and 175. I figured we were doing ok, about 15 hours into the smoke.

After 16 hours, still at 188 and 176. After all the threads I read here, I was going to be patient, after all, still a long time to dinner. After 17 hours the first one finally hit 200. While getting my crap together (like I should have been ready in 17 hours), it rose to 202. OK, let's get it out and wrap it up.

The money shot!

Pulled

Did I mention that the second one was still at about 180 at this time? Well, I decided that patience was a virtue and let it go at 230* in the cooker. Finally after 21 hours, it was ready to come out, IT at 200*. Everyone loved it, especially the owners of the lanes.

If you mes is anything like mine ,You are cooking at around 200.
I run real low compared to my settings.
I have set to 275 and NEVER got to 250.
Make sure and use a probe to check grill temps besides meat internals.

Have done that, my MES is only around 5 degrees different than my probe reads. This one was just stubborn.

Thats a heck of a long time to cook a butt. But if you enjoy sitting there and tending more power to ya. If you cook at say, 250* and foil at 170to180 you could dramatically decrease the amount of time by probobly 5-6 hours. With the same or better results I might add.

It depends on how you like the bark. I pull mine around 170, put in a pan in the oven with foil over top and finish up to 200. I have found the bark softens up and I can incorporate much more into the finished product. But, those that love the crunch need to keep it on the smoker for the most part. I do agree that 250 will definitely help save some time without sacrificing any quality.

The last ones I did were taking forever too and I was running up against a dinner deadline, so once I foiled them I turned the heat way up... in the 275-300 range.

I figure with 'em wrapped you aren't putting in any more flavor, you're just waiting for the heat to render out the fat. They came out great!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky