Store bought rubs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smoke-n-jr

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Mar 17, 2007
Mascoutah, IL
Has anyone tried using store bought rubs? I currently use KC Masterpiece BBQ seasoning. It turns out well. Any thoughts?

I use Weber gourmet burger on all my beef. We like it a lot.If you want to grill some chicken, you can't go wrong with Weber kickin' chicken! This stuff is unbeliveable! I have only found it at walmart.

Durkee's Chicken and Rib Rub. Very good store bought rub
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

So far I've only use rubs I've made myself, but there are a couple I am considering.

We've used the Turkish seasoning that Penzey's makes for both pork and chicken on the grill and it worked well there, so the next time I do a loin or some chicken pieces, I think I'm going to try that. They also have a Greek seasoning that I think would be good on smoked chicken or pork.

Here are the links to those seasonings.

Turkish: http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penze...ysturkish.html
Greek: http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penze...greekseas.html

I use several - Happy Holla, KCRibDoctor, Pit Boss, DoubleQ, Blues Hog. There are a bazillion locally produced rubs on the shelves in KC stores. And several of them are better than any home made. I'm an admitted rub and sauce junky. Picked up some Blues Hog Red Sauce today, vinegary, peppery, sweet, gotta smoke a butt to try it on pulled pork.
KC Masterpiece anything doesn't work for me. Poor Q.

Did ya'll know that most rubs you buy in retail stores are the lowest grade of spice you can buy? Most rubs are graded in the retail and industrial area on a K scale, from between .05 to 3.8 . Most retail rubs are around .05 to .07 on the K scale due to all the by-products and MSG's if any. But if you use industrial type spice from a spice company then the scale rises quite a bit, most spicers use a blend of spices in the range of 3.2 to 3.8 K. You may pay a bit more for rub ,bbut the quality will blow you out of the water, if you think you make a good smoke dish now, try a higher grade rub and watch what happens......Just my 2 cents

Durkees, McCormicks, i'll try just about anything but lately i have just been using home made variations on jeffs rub till i find the desired effect i'm looking for

I like Jeff's rub - I add a bit more garlic and heat but it's really good and easy to adapt to your liking. The sauce is really good too. Add a bit to Italian dressing for a nice South Western salad dressing or marinate!

I mix up a bowl full about once a month! If you haven't tried it your missing out!
765d23af_vbattach15717.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky