Store bought/precooked turkey legs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

fire it up

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
Feb 24, 2009
South Jersey
So the other day member ronp100343
Posted he had bought a precooked presmoked turkey from Sams.
Some agreed it was fine, some gave him some gripe.
I added that I regularly bought half cooked smoked turkey legs and that they were pretty good.
Well, today I went to Acme and they had just gotten a case of presmoked turkey legs in so I grabbed a pack. Shoprite had raw turkey legs but it was raining and I'm not firing up the smoker today.

Packaged legs

Usually they are only partially cooked which I prefer because I think they come out much more tender when not fully cooked and then slowly heated as opposed to reheating.

So I wrap it in foil and throw in the toaster oven at 275 for around an hour, seems to be a little long but still moist.

I pull off the skin cause it is usually chewy, though I could crisp it, and I would normally have wrapped 1-2 pieces of proscuitto around it and then thrown in a pan of hot olive oil to make it like a very flavorful crsipy skin. Since I was out of proscuitto I just pulled off the skin and ate as it was.

Usually they have a bit more smoke flavor to them but not bad, though I sprinkled a little cajun seasoning on it and it made it even better, but if you can't get around to smoking some legs for yourself this is a great substitute, they actually taste really good.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky