Stop me! Drum Smoker Intervention?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

buck wheezer

Smoke Blower
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
May 19, 2008
Livonia, MI
OK, I've had it for about three weeks, but I finally opened my new 55-gal drum to start my build. It seems to have a coating, but it's so thin and easily scratched, that I'm inclined to think I can burn it off easily.

However, there is a dried glob of the original contents in the bottom: from what I deciphered on the painted-over label, it is "aliphatic polyurethane floor coating." I found the company and the tech sheets and MSDS sheets for the two part coating. I believe I have the part B drum, but it seems like it would have to have been mixed to be this hard in the drum. The links are below:

http://www.fredainc.com/floor_coatin...hane/B2CAR.pdf
http://www.fredainc.com/floor_coatin...msds/2CARB.pdf
http://www.fredainc.com/floor_coatin...msds/2CARA.pdf

I was able to chip off a piece and burn it last night, and it didn't kill me outright. So I'm inclined to try to burn it out and proceed.

I'm no chemist, but I hate to give up a free drum. If anyone has any reasons I shouldn't continue. Let me know.

Thanks!

Yer' no chemist, and I'm not doctor. All I can say is, I would trust a good hot burn-in in that drum for my family. As Bubba has mentioned before, if you get it hot enough to burn the paint off of the outside, the inside should be plenty safe.

"INGESTION HEALTH RISKS AND SYMPTOMS OF EXPOSURE
Moderately toxic. Can result in irritation in the digestive tract. Symptoms can include sore throat, abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. If
aspirated, may cause lung damage or even death due to chemical pneumonia."

If that is what the MSDS has to offer, then why even bother burning it out?
PDT_Armataz_01_05.gif
PDT_Armataz_01_05.gif
PDT_Armataz_01_05.gif

Buck, Good info dig. But I could have gotten this from the plant team for ya. Just burn it out in an open spot and DON'T breathe in the fumes is what the facilities engr told me would be fine. I can only add that the heat from actual smoking might be enough to release some fumes if you don't get it out of there. (like what Joe says) Would those fumes actually create a problem is the question I can't answer so just burn it out is my conclusion.

I have the same problem as Buck WHeez. I have a used food-grade drum that contains a tan coating inside. I researched this and haven't had any luck finding info on it. But listening to all of you guys, a burn out would simply do it.

thoughts?
confused.gif

vandman

sorry, i don't have the same situation as Buck Wheez. But i still have a tan liner or seal on the inside!

Talked to BBQ Bubba and he said to burn it out and apply a wire wheel to it?

Thoughts?

I burned my barrel out and used a hand sander on it ......and it just contained chicken feed.
PDT_Armataz_01_12.gif

Do what bubba says as he knows more on this subject as far as prep and function than anyone. (maybe a industrial chemist type could help on specific substance info better) Any food grade drum has to be better than what BW is dealing with. (floor coating for an auto parts plant)

Thanks, all, for the insight. Last night, I drilled the draft holes. Tonight, I got it nice and hot, and the paint on the outside is gone. I can see bare steel inside as well.

At one point, I thought I'd be smart and lay the lid over the top and burn that off as well. When I saw the heat drop nearly immediately, I panicked and tried to drag the lid off. Instead of off, it slid neatly and completely on, and it sealed itself nice and tight. Grabbed my pry bar and started to twist it off, and all I had going through my mind was that scene from the movie "Backdraft" when the guy got blown off the porch and into the windshield of his car. But I'm OK! Thanks for asking.

Nobody called the cops. The neighbor's dog didn't die. The kids still have only two eyes--each. All in all, a good evening.

Gonna use the knotted brush on it tomorrow afternoon. And then it's assembly time.

Hoping to be up and running for next weekend's Fatty Throwdown!

Your tan lining is a food grade anti corrosion lacquer which should burn out nicely with virtually no adverse effects.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky