Stocking up on Oak

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

flatbroke

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Sep 16, 2007
Have a few trees that needed cutting up. Fell across fences and or taken down by wind. As you may notice by the pic, I had you all in mind as I was working.
2DA3C58B-0607-40C6-BBA9-F6D2B55F8386.jpeg

this tree had more brush then wood
136B93E6-6A22-42AF-BC26-E1B7D05A3B49.jpeg

second tree brushed out pretty fast
3AC8A927-698D-42B1-B20A-A5F731BB0F48.jpeg

will finish bucking it tomorrow then mend the deer fence. Then on to tree #3 which is considerably bigger then both out together. Shouldn’t run out of bbq wood for a while. Was glad to have one of my sons along to drag brush as it was a workout. Even with the bobcat handy.

Last edited:
Looks like maple bark from here, what kind of oak? don't see what area you are from . looks like a few-6 month drying time due to all the leaves on lol

Where in the heck are you located? It is February and I don’t think there is a single blade of green grass within a hundred miles of here...much less oak trees with green leaves!

Reactions: uncle eddie
Looks like maple bark from here, what kind of oak? don't see what area you are from . looks like a few-6 month drying time due to all the leaves on lol
Where in the heck are you located? It is February and I don’t think there is a single blade of green grass within a hundred miles of here...much less oak trees with green leaves!
Definitely Oak, in Central Coast CA. lots of different variety of oak trees here.

Good deal, didn't think it was anywhere around here I have seen east slope side lol

Nice looking wood. Pretty sure that's California Live Oak (Quercus agrifolia). It appears almost exactly like the live oaks that grow in the southeast US. I used to cut those for firewood but at that size, you need a big, powerful splitter. The grain gets twisted in the larger sections of the tree. Also, live oak has about the highest BTU content of any commonly available wood, so you probably have a lifetime supply.

Nice looking wood. Pretty sure that's California Live Oak (Quercus agrifolia). It appears almost exactly like the live oaks that grow in the southeast US. I used to cut those for firewood but at that size, you need a big, powerful splitter. The grain gets twisted in the larger sections of the tree. Also, live oak has about the highest BTU content of any commonly available wood, so you probably have a lifetime supply.
you very well may be right. we have lots of different variety here. I sure cant tell the difference.

Looks like too much work to me.
You need bigger logs for some Bears though!!!
Take a Break, now!!
Like.

Bear
Fixing on heading back out in a few minutes. hoping my brother doesn't flake today, or decide to shoot pigs instead of cutting wood.

Reactions: sawhorseray
I once cut up some oak staves from an old wine barrel into smaller pieces for my smoker. Hard wood; it was all my table saw could do to get through it. That must play havoc with even a good chain saw?

Fixing on heading back out in a few minutes. hoping my brother doesn't flake today, or decide to shoot pigs instead of cutting wood.

I figured by the looks of that land there might be some hogs around. We hunted a ranch in the hills outside of Coalinga for 15 years, killed some bucks and a ton of wild hogs, it was right on the Fresno / San Benito County line. It's Sunday, go whack a hog, the wood will still be there to cut. RAY

I figured by the looks of that land there might be some hogs around. We hunted a ranch in the hills outside of Coalinga for 15 years, killed some bucks and a ton of wild hogs, it was right on the Fresno / San Benito County line. It's Sunday, go whack a hog, the wood will still be there to cut. RAY
Hunted that area too. Yep a lot of hogs.

Here is the politically incorrect way to determine if it is a red or white oak. I am sure there is a better way to remember this, but it is the way I learned and it works. No offense intended.

Think Cowboys & Indians:
(white) cowboys shoot blunt round-nose bullets - White oaks have rounded lobe-end leaves.
(red) Indians shoot pointy tipped arrows - Red oaks have pointy-tipped leaves.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky