Stew Meat?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

superdave

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Aug 13, 2007
Sacramento, CA
I see where a lot of you smoke chuck roasts and wondered if anyone has smoked stew meat since I believe it is just cut up chuck roast.  I thought it might be like a burnt end? 

I see where a lot of you smoke chuck roasts and wondered if anyone has smoked stew meat since I believe it is just cut up chuck roast.  I thought it might be like a burnt end? 
Probably not a bad idea-----A couple years ago a Chucky was about $1.99 a lb around here.

Now it's $4.99 !!  2 years ago I could get Choice Prime Rib for $4.99 !!!

Bear

Last edited:
Yes, I've done this. I had the same idea as you on the burnt ends! The problem is that by the time the pieces get tender they are bone dry!  They sure are tasty though.

I should mention however, the stew meat came calves we raised on our farm. They were probably a lot leaner than what you find in the grocery store.

I wonder what would happen if you wrapped them in bacon? Hmmm?

I was thinking that because of the size to surface area, they wouldn't need a whole lot of smoke time before wrapping.  Besides burnt end idea, I was going to run with the sheperds pie theme and make a full on beef pot pie. 

If you want to be technical about it, NEDtorious, to be a Shepard's pie it has to use lamb or (rarely) mutton.

Using beef or other proteins makes it a cottage pie. In some locales, using the same technique with venison, people call it a deerstalker pie. But that's not very common.

Difference between cottage pies and pot pies, of course, is that the former uses mashed potatoes as a topping, and the latter uses a paste crust.

chilli anyone? I like to skewer them up and smoke then add to chilli. Last time I did this I marinaded the stew meat in coffee overnight. Very good and the coffee tenderizes the beef some.

Intresting , about the names... and cool we have a Historian now
yahoo.gif
 , welcome Foodie.

Oh , the Chuck will make great smoked Stew... be sure to Q-view...

We used to smoke stew meat all the time for use in all kinds of recipes. It's too expensive now, $5.99 per pound!!! Still get it now and again for soups stews chili and my Shepards pie, which has beef and a tater topping!

Okay, the experiment will start tomorrow.  I'm thinking 1/2 smoke and 1/2 braise to keep it from drying out. 

I like to cook the whole darn thing on the smoker. I brown off the pieces either on the grill or the stove, then dump it all in the DO and on to the smoker. Lovely flavors. It's always better the next day though. I usually fridge over night, remove the fat cap if there is one, and reheat. I cooked this batch on the Primo XL. If I'm lucky enough to get a fat cap I save it in the freezer and grind it up with my next batch of burgers.

Not as long ago as you may think. Although they were around before than, "portable" cast iron stoves didn't start to become really common until the 1820s. Before that, cooking was done primarily on a hearth or over an open fire.

There were, to be sure, other methods. But far and away, cooking in and around a fireplace or over an open fire were the most common.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky