STEELHEAD!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

timberjet

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Jan 29, 2010
Waitsburg Washington

Well, I had a pretty good morning. Hooked 5 and got these all the way in. Time for some brine.

My brine recipe is an old one some of you might recognize.

1 gallon water

2 cups salt

2 cups Brown sugar

4 tbsp. garlic powder

8 tbsp. onion powder

1/2 cup molasses

2 oz bottle Mapeline

Heat water and dissolve everything well. Chill brine to ice water cold. Cut filets into chunks skin on. Brine 12 to 24 hours, I like 24.

I will get to the rest of the process tomorrow or Monday after I dry and form the pellicle. I caught these 150 feet from my back door.

everything looks good except that seahawks bucket.....
29.gif

Love your crock there TJ! And the steelies too! So much for Mr. Rogers.
Beer.gif
I can't ever remember being that stressed, depressed, elated, deflated, thrilled......etc... In my life over a dang game. I feel like I was in a 30 car pile up and walked away without a scratch. Actually physically drained today like I was there playing. lol

I can't ever remember being that stressed, depressed, elated, deflated, thrilled......etc... In my life over a dang game. I feel like I was in a 30 car pile up and walked away without a scratch. Actually physically drained today like I was there playing. lol
I know your pain. I had some cheese in the smoker and was ready to head out, grab a beer, and watch my cheese smoke. Very glad I decided to finish watching the game. They let the Beast loose!

So beautiful!

I've been eating steelhead roe lately (come join our WINO group if you haven't yet and check out the "tease to tomorrow" thread which has some roe photos. Join the fun!

Meanwhile, YOUR fish looks incredible!

Cheers! - Leah

So beautiful!

I've been eating steelhead roe lately (come join our WINO group if you haven't yet and check out the "tease to tomorrow" thread which has some roe photos. Join the fun!

Meanwhile, YOUR fish looks incredible!

Cheers! - Leah
Unfortunately Leah, the roe gets candied for more salmon, steelhead and sturgeon bait. Maybe next time i will have surplus. I will check it out though. My favorite thing in the world is perch roe.

That looks great, wish I had some, not many trout here in Texas

Gary

We are just getting good runs of steelhead back these last few years. Washington state takes better care of it's wildlife than most of it's people. Glad to get lucky, twice in one weekend. hahaha..... Geez it took a long time to get good pellicle last night so I won't get to smoke them until tonight.

Well, I got it going on. Yes folks that is an electric blanket just in case I need it. Doing these babies with of course Apple wood. I might finish them with maple if I run out before they get to the right texture. Smoke on. Butt is going in the uds here in a minute but that is for another section of the forum.

Last edited:
I'm jealous no Steelies or Salmon around here I may have to buy a Salmon one of these days.

Be waiting for it to come out from under its blanket. LOL

I'm jealous no Steelies or Salmon around here I may have to buy a Salmon one of these days.

Be waiting for it to come out from under its blanket. LOL
It will be a while. I usually go 30 or more hours to get it right with the little chief. I may just finish them on the uds once the butt is done and I crank the temp down on it. Probably save some time but I have never cheated before. 'why start now. Too bad no steelhead or salmon over there. I have seen at least 20 fish and game guys today around here. hahaha.....

Now that's a cool setup, and all that goodness

gary

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky