Steak Q-View!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

davenh

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
Feb 16, 2008
Hudson, NH.
After seeing Abelman's thread and his fantastic looking London Broil I had to try it. Owe you one Abelman!

I did mine a little different, mixed up a marinade and injected it into the steak. Turned out really good, it's a keeper
PDT_Armataz_01_29.gif

The steak was 2 lbs and took about 2 hrs in the smoker, used mesquite and some cherry. I was a little apprehensive about using mostly mesquite, it doesn't seem to be a favorite out here. I got to tell you, I really liked the flavor. I do think beef is about the only meat I'd use it.

I also didn't put any water in the pan.

Here's how it went.

Marinade: 2/3C apple juice, 1/3C orange juice, 3-Tbs lemon juice, 1-Tbs white wine vinegar, 2-tsp chili powder, 2-tsp garlic powder, 2-tsp onion powder, 2-tsp brown sugar (Splenda Blend), 1-tsp basil and 1/2-tsp black pepper. (Keeping with my recently acquired low sodium diet)

Injected 4oz of the marinade into the steak, poured the remaining marinade over it. Sprinkled with fresh ground pepper. Let marinate 1 hour and turned the steak over and soak another hour.

marinating.JPG

On the searing burner to get some nice marks and seal it up. Here's what it looked like after searing it. Internal temp was 80° after searing.

searingburner.JPG

searedfinished.JPG

Put it in the smoker for 2 hrs, 1 hr at 215°, then dropped to 200° for the last hr. Wanted to make sure I got a couple hrs in the smoke. Pulled when the internal temp was 137°. Smoked with mostly mesquite and a little cherry. I didn't mop or peek.

No pic of it going on, but here is one coming off
icon_smile.gif

finishedlb.JPG

Wrapping in foil to rest for 20 min.

foil.JPG

Sliced and ready to eat
icon_smile.gif
. Tender juicy and lean, the mesquite and injected marinade added a great flavor. You can see the marinade kinda squiggles through the middle.

slicedlb.JPG

Ah Man, that's awesome. You have gone and made me hungry again.
Great job.
Andy.

Never considered the grain direction when injecting. Looks like I went against the grain. Thanks for bring that up Joe
icon_smile.gif
. I'm guessing its best to go with the grain?

Maybe why I had a few side geysers popping out..LOL. Probably wouldn't have happened as much if I went with the grain.

wow that looks good! great sounding recipi-need to try-i spose like wood u can inject with grain-or against-I gonna have to vasilate on this a-while.kinda cornfused with all the Iowa folk on here. Thanks Joe all your fault.

Does the searing actually affect the taste, or is it just for the grill marks? That looks REALLY great, if searing makes a differance in the taste, I would sear it on the grill first for just a couple of minutes over a very hot flame correct?

You can definitely taste the char on the outside. Searing also caramelizes the sugars in the marinade giving it more flavor and some crust. I left the water pan empty to get a drier outside texture. It's a short smoke at a lower temp (210°), without searing it might taste more like slow baked in an oven
eek.gif
than grilled.

I did a couple a minutes, sides and edges. The searing (IR) burner on the grill I bought is much hotter than the gas flame. Not sure how that compares to a charcoal fire. I think the hotter the better, so you don't cook the meat.

The charred outside mixed with the mesquite made it taste like it was cooked over an open fire, really good. The mesquite, at least to me, is the perfect wood for a steak smoke
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Congrats on a great smoke, and thanks for the Q View!

Looks really good I've been looking for a good idea to do with beef. I'll have to give it a try. About what size london broil did you use ?

Thanks
Jason

Hi guys...it was a 2lb London Broil. Going to pick up a bunch of them at the next sale.

Got it's twin in the freezer for next week
icon_smile.gif
. Smoking plans for the weekend, Salmon and Steak!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky