Starting to smoke in Wisconsin

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sean2005

Original poster
Jan 1, 2014
Just received a Webber Smokey Mountain for Christmas. No idea what I'm doing, but I'm excited to learn and experiment. I'm in Green Bay, Wisconsin and interested in smoking all kinds of pork, poultry and fish. I've come to Smoking Meat Forum to find out how to begin.

Welcome to the forum Sean

You are one lucky man or have been a very good boy to get a WSM for Christmas!  Plenty of WSM folks / cult members on this site. I have a Mini…. 

You ve come to the best place for great information on smoking and many other types of cooking! Many friendly people here that love to help.  Also make the search button your best friend. There are over a million post in this forum. That powerful information on a vast array of subjects right at your fingertips.

Brian 

[h1]
texas.gif
Hello and welcome from East Texas. This is a great site, lots of information and great people that are willing to throw in their two cents worth on about anything.   
[/h1][h1]  [/h1][h1]Gary[/h1]

Thanks Gary. Seem like nice people out here. I've cooked on gas grills my whole life but never had charcoal before, let alone a smoker, so I tried a dry run with no meat last weekend. Glad I did. I don't think I used enough fuel, and it was windy, so I'm going to construct a wind break. It's supposed to be below zero here in Green Bay for the next few days. Good time to learn how to control smoker temps, right? Ha!

Welcome Sean,

Another new guy from Wisconsin.  I do have experience cutting meat, fresh sausage making and a little smoking experience.

Looking forward to cold smoking some Wisconsin cheese.

do you have access to any?

Woodburner

Newbie thinking about his third (ever) cook this weekend. What should I do? I've done two chickens. Both turned out excellent. Also did a side of salmon which turned out great. Just didn't care for how sweet the rub was. Jalapeno poppers were okay. Maybe too smokey. Tried spare ribs. Meh. Did the 3-2-1 method but probably didn't control the pit temperature (WSM) well enough and they were way-dry. Should I give ribs another go? Something else? Thanks for the advice!

I'd get a maverick et732 to monitor both your smoker temp and meat temp. A lot of the factory gauges can be way off and cooking is much easier when you know your temps are right.....especially with charcoal fueled cooker. Absolutely go for another shot at those ribs. Where you are I would do the initial 3 hours on the weber, then wrap them with a little squeeze margarine, a bit of honey, some brown sugar sprinkled on, and a 1/4 cup of juice and wrap them tight in foil and do them in your oven. Then after a couple hours open them up and see where you are. You might be good to go. I never hit 6 hours for spares. If you need a bit more time just open the foil to expose the ribs and finish them in the oven. Those green bay winters can raise havoc for bbq....especially for guys trying to learn the quirks of their smokers.

Reactions: dish
Hey Sean

Welcome to the Smoking  forum.   You’ll find great , friendly people here, all more than willing to answer any question you may have.  Just ask and you’ll get about 10 different answers—all right.  LOL.   Don’t forget to post qviews.

Gary

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky