STarting smokers with Propane Weed Killer?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

shooterrick

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jan 13, 2008
South Louisiana
Is anyone using propane weed killers to start wood or charcoal. If so do the self contained ones you screww a bottle into work?

i am thinking you are talking a weed burner........yeah......its done here all the time.........and from what i have seen........yeah the screw in type......but hey......i live in iowa...............

i use a chimney........BUT.......newpaper........with all the ink in it.........hmmmmm

if you are starting a stick burner.......using STICKS.........weed burner rox

chimney won't help there

I use one that looks a lot like this...

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...t_6970_592_592

It works great on my horizontal wood burner. I also take it camping to start the wood in the fire ring.

I love it.
smile.gif

I installed a propane burner in my model 60 Lang. I got a cast iron restaurant oven tube burner and drilled a 2 inch or so hole through the box below the wood grate, welded a pipe fitting, and made a wing nut type clamp to hold it in place, then connected the gas valve externally with a large 4 inch washer for a heat shield. If your interested, I can upload a picture of it for you.

It works awesome, I am ready to cook with my hardwood blazing in 15 minutes, no kindling, no newspaper. Also, I can keep the smoker at 175 to 200 degrees without wood if I choose to back off the smoke at the end of the cook or for warming foods, jerky, whatever:-)

Hope this helps,

Steve

I'm from Mesa, Az. I understand cold (just a little bit), but what is this "snow"?

I fill a chimney with lump and place it on my 170 BTU turkey fryer, (Cajun Cooker) burner, that thing lights up the charcoal in under a minute! Dump that in the firebox and put my sticks on top. Works for me anyway.
Jimbo

Lol...... shawnr5, you made me damn near laugh myself off my chair.

I don't see any harm in using either a propane torch or weed burner. Let people use propane for grilling and heating all the time. So I don't think its a big issue. Just my two cents........

Kookie

I will attempt to post the firebox modifications I made to my Lang below. The only thing the pic won't show is the heat shield that was installed after they were taken:-) Hope this helps.

If there is interests, Maybe in the future, I can start a thread called Lang Modifications, because I have quite a few, including two burners located over the wood storage rack for frying or boiling and a quick disconnect propane receptacle for plugging in an additional grill, etc

c96e2f4d_vbattach16650.jpg

d47b8fd5_vbattach16648.jpg

a40a207a_vbattach16649.jpg

6b4949bf_vbattach16647.jpg

I thought i understood what you had done but this helps. The pics confirm my thoughts so was big help. By the way, I have a duel burner Camp Chef stove I always carried with me. I didnt mount it permanent for flexibility such as fish fries, cawfish boils ect where just needed the stove.
Thanks again
Rick

The Natty Light was empty, I think, cause I would never put one near an open flame:-)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky