STarting smokers with Propane Weed Killer?

Discussion in 'Slicers, Grinders, Tools, Equipment' started by shooterrick, Jan 21, 2008.

1. shooterrick

shooterrick Master of the Pit Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Is anyone using propane weed killers to start wood or charcoal. If so do the self contained ones you screww a bottle into work?

2. walking dude

walking dude Smoking Guru SMF Premier Member

i am thinking you are talking a weed burner........yeah......its done here all the time.........and from what i have seen........yeah the screw in type......but hey......i live in iowa...............

3. garyt

garyt Smoking Fanatic

sounds like too many chemicals!!!!! Just get a charcoal chimney at walmart or most anywhere, all you need is newspaper

4. walking dude

walking dude Smoking Guru SMF Premier Member

i use a chimney........BUT.......newpaper........with all the ink in it.........hmmmmm

if you are starting a stick burner.......using STICKS.........weed burner rox

chimney won't help there

5. cowgirl

cowgirl Smoking Guru OTBS Member

6. mossymo

mossymo Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

cowgirl and others
    Where I am from we call that a Big Bertha, use it for starting ditches on fire.
    I use just a small handheld propane torch to start charcoal in a chimney starter.

7. smok'n steve

smok'n steve Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

I installed a propane burner in my model 60 Lang. I got a cast iron restaurant oven tube burner and drilled a 2 inch or so hole through the box below the wood grate, welded a pipe fitting, and made a wing nut type clamp to hold it in place, then connected the gas valve externally with a large 4 inch washer for a heat shield. If your interested, I can upload a picture of it for you.

It works awesome, I am ready to cook with my hardwood blazing in 15 minutes, no kindling, no newspaper. Also, I can keep the smoker at 175 to 200 degrees without wood if I choose to back off the smoke at the end of the cook or for warming foods, jerky, whatever:)

Hope this helps,

Steve

8. capt dan

capt dan Master of the Pit OTBS Member

works good to get the snow off the drive! ![​IMG]

9. shawnr5

shawnr5 Smoke Blower

I'm from Mesa, Az. I understand cold (just a little bit), but what is this "snow"?

10. peculiarmike

peculiarmike Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Dude, the inks used to print newspapers are SOY based. Have been for years.

11. navionjim

navionjim Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

I fill a chimney with lump and place it on my 170 BTU turkey fryer, (Cajun Cooker) burner, that thing lights up the charcoal in under a minute! Dump that in the firebox and put my sticks on top. Works for me anyway.
    Jimbo

12. kookie

kookie Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Lol...... shawnr5, you made me damn near laugh myself off my chair.

I don't see any harm in using either a propane torch or weed burner. Let people use propane for grilling and heating all the time. So I don't think its a big issue. Just my two cents........

Kookie

13. lawdog

lawdog Smoking Fanatic

Steve, if you wouldn't mind, I am looking at doing something along those lines with the burner. Any pics would be great

14. smok'n steve

I will attempt to post the firebox modifications I made to my Lang below. The only thing the pic won't show is the heat shield that was installed after they were taken:) Hope this helps.

If there is interests, Maybe in the future, I can start a thread called Lang Modifications, because I have quite a few, including two burners located over the wood storage rack for frying or boiling and a quick disconnect propane receptacle for plugging in an additional grill, etc

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. shooterrick

shooterrick Master of the Pit Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

I thought i understood what you had done but this helps. The pics confirm my thoughts so was big help. By the way, I have a duel burner Camp Chef stove I always carried with me. I didnt mount it permanent for flexibility such as fish fries, cawfish boils ect where just needed the stove.
    Thanks again
    Rick

16. smok'n steve

The Natty Light was empty, I think, cause I would never put one near an open flame:)

17. cowgirl

Steve, that sure is a nice set up. Thanks for the pictures.[​IMG]

18. richtee

richtee Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Hey Patty, how'z about a big shot of that smokehouse? Or did I miss it already?

19. cowgirl

Hi Rich!
    I haven't posted a big picture yet....I need to though.[​IMG]

20. bbq bubba

bbq bubba Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Yes you do!!!
    But put it on a new thread please!! [​IMG]